Sunday, August 16, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Portable chargers?

 

Mike,

My concern is that if the charger(s) draws too much, the generator will comply until overheated or failure. The best bad scenario would be the generator shutting itself down before permanent damage occurs, but I don't know if these units are that smart.

I don't think that you can hook 2 chargers up in parallel on one bank because the chargers would trick each other into thinking that the bank was more full than it is.

Because my boat has space and weight issues already, I am hoping to run 2 separate banks of 4 group 31s. One bank in the engine compartment, where the engine is now and the other set into the top of the full keel space. My boat has about 4000 pounds of concrete and steel scrap for ballast inside the keel, accessible from inside the cabin. I hope to carve some of that ballast out and make two sealed boxes that can hold two batteries each. If I'm lucky, the second battery bank will break even on overall weight in the boat and keep the weight where it is most effective.

With two banks, the chargers can run independently. If I install a 15A charger one one bank and a 10A charger on the other, the 2000i should handle it easier and I should get around 1200w of usable output to the drive. I intend to be able to select either or both banks via relays so that I can manage them better.

Still trying to figure this thing out... :)

Eric

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Mike <biankablog@...> wrote:
>
> Eric:
>  
> It should be able to run the two chargers but, as you point out you may run into the Scotty factor from Star Trek. "I can't make any more power Captain" <g> The Honda coming up 80 watts short is not the end of the world. But, as Merrick also pointed out you don't want to run things at max power all the time either....
>   But, I am curious about running two 48 volt Zivans in parallel with the Honda 2000i. If it works it should give one a nice bump up in speed from just one Zivan in operation as I have. This is because you should be increasing the amount of amps available from the chargers for powering the motor. Sounds like a good experiment for someone to do. While I think it would be great for increasing amps available for motoring there may be some issues with charging one good and one bad:
>  
> 2) There could be a problem with second stage charging. The Zivan NG-1 is a particularly sophisticated charger that measures the batteries and pulses current as needed in the second stage of charging. The two chargers in parallel could be fighting each other or getting erroneous readings if both are in operation during charging. I think the problem could be easily solved by shutting down one of the chargers during this phase of the charging cycle.
>  
>  
> Mike
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com 
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment