Saturday, August 15, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Diesel Generators for electric conversion

 

Mike,

You're right, I meant you. I agree with your positive assessments of a portable generator; cheap, light, easily repairable and upgradeable. They're kind of the electric equivalent of an outboard motor. :)

The NG1-48 is a 15A charger. Is your quote of 2.9kt while running the generator based on only that 15A, or does it include your solar and wind sources?
Do you run your Air-X under way? It looks like 15kts of apparent wind can generate about 2A.
How big is your solar panel? the 55v Sanyo 205 (34" x 52") generates about 3.6A max, but with a narrow ketch I don't think I have any decent place to park one. I'll probably have to skip solar underway on this boat.

I know that YMMV, but this is looking more promising as I adjust my expectations. :)

Eric

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Mike <biankablog@...> wrote:
>
>
> Eric:
>  
> I think you meant Mike (me) not Mark.  My charging system is a Zivan NG-1 48 volt charger set up to charge the 48 volt AGM battery bank which consists of 4 200 amp hour AGM batteries.
> The 2000i generator is connected to the Zivan by a heavy duty extension cord and the output of the Zivan is connected to the box that houses the controller where internal wiring connects it to the battery. I also have an Air X 48 volt wind generator and a 48 volt solar panel that helps in charging into the controller box too. I only bring out the generator when needed (for bulk charging) or if I think I will be motoring for an extend period of time. I'm on a mooring so I spend very little time on a dock but, when I do I can simply plug the charger into dockside AC  and charge from shore power when I want.  It's a simple versatile system that's easily maintained and does not require one to spend time down below to maintain it. Like an installed diesel does.  I can easily carry the generator to a repair shop if I needed to or buy a replacement and be back on the water the same day. Plus if generator and/or charger technology improves dramatically it is
> easily upgradable. This system works for me!
>
> Mike
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com
>  
>  

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment