Friday, August 14, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Searching the ideal electric propulsion system

 

I guy posted a link to a similar design just the other day, this one
is for sale and reasonably priced.

http://www.bellmann.nu/?nr=10

As a matter of fact look through the rest of the site they had a lot
of interesting and reasonably prices products.

On Aug 14, 2009, at 9:13 AM, matikanpoika wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I have been reading the messages on this forum and other fora for
> the last year because I am interested in converting my sailboat from
> gas outboard to an electric drive. Since the previous owner of my
> boat got rid of the inboard engine and at the same time glassed the
> opening for the shaft I was predominantly looking at e-pods and
> electric outboards from torqeedo to avoid fitting a new shaft into
> the boat. Both sytems have their pros and cons and I was not
> completely convinced of either at that time. Then I came along an
> article in a german sailboat magazine (Palstek) where they discussed
> electric engine alternatives and came up with a system I had never
> heard of before. The electric engine used in this system is called
> "Ringläufer" in german maybe something like "ringrunner". (The
> article is available for download on torqeedos homepage http://www.torqeedo.com/uploads/media/Palstek_09_08_deutsch_DE_.pdf
> maybe the pictures discribe what I mean with ring engine) When I
> searched for the company producing these engines on the net there
> was only a website stating that these engines were under development
> and sales would start earliest 2009/10. Else there was not much
> information but about the size range of engines and the different
> modes of application as electric propulsion for boats, high
> efficiency water pumps and thrusters. Now they have a picture of
> some kind of minirigg and a link to videos and pictures and they
> seem to get going.
> The reason I write is that as a biologist I am not the most talented
> electrician/mechanic and might not be aware of downsides of a system
> like that. I just see the obvious. No shaft, no sealings no
> mechanical parts to wear out... and I would only need to drill one
> hole to fit it into my boat... What do you, who have a lot of
> experience with different systems think about that?
>
> And no I am not involved with the company. They seem to be somewhere
> in western germany and I live unfortunately for my electric refit
> north of the polar circle in northern Norway where there is no-one
> selling electric engines other than trolling crap.
>
> Oh yes and you don't have to read the palstek article they call
> their engine e-jet electric drive (www.ejet.org) with also some
> videos on youtube.
>
> I hope somebody finds time to look at their pictures and films
> (since there doesn't seem to be much more on their homepage) and
> tell me if I am completeley wrong when thinking it looks quite
> trouble free... Again... maybe it's only advertisement.
>
> Thanks
>
> Matti
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Odd News

You won't believe

it, but it's true

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Get in Shape

on Yahoo! Groups

Find a buddy

and lose weight.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment