Saturday, August 29, 2009

[Electric Boats] Small displacement boat question

 

I am new to this group and to this subject, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

I am exploring the possibility of fitting a small auxiliary electric motor in a 13.5' LWL, 16' LOA displacement hull drawing about 20" of water at the stern. The total weight of the boat is something in the order of 1000 lbs., plus an occupant or two. The boat is beamy at 6', but has no room for a diesel because of the arrangement in manufacture, and I am not especially enamoured of the kicker idea.

I have three basic questions:

1. Am I right in thinking that something like a 1.5 HP electric motor should be capable of pushing me along at a slow but steady speed, even in a good wind, assuming an 8-10" or so prop can be fitted?

2. Am I also right in thinking that, if the motor in question were so small and an AC 110v model, that the power source could simply be a gas-operated generator, say, a Honda putting out about 1000w?

3. Can I assume that I would not be liable to electrocute myself with such a setup?

All advice appreciated. And by all means save a life by putting me off the idea if you must!

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment