Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Anybody Out There?

 

Thanks Merrick,
 
I feel better knowing my post was at least read.The 360 degree movement of the outboard gave the boat the same type of freedom of movement as a bumper car you ride at the amusement park. Dead stop from full speed by swinging 180 degrees, abiility to hover in a current( much the way a plane points toward the wind and slips "sideways", in case you see a light plane in heavy winds. If the plane aimed it's nose at it's destination, it would be blown way off course.) The Glen-L converted outboard system looked interesting but no one to my knowledge has had any success with it. Sometimes a gog is a dog!
 
 I've gotten a few responses frome Denny and the Nonsuch 30 catboat owner( Sorry I forgot your name just now). They have 90% convinced me to go with a true inboard system. If someone had an electric outboard that wasn't outrageously priced new or used I might take the easy way out. When the boat is finished it's not going to be sold so I just want what's proper for my needs.
 
I've attached some photos of the boat last year when I finally got the title for it after 4 years of waiting. The top and cockpit seats have been removed. I'm going to post more pics for everyone as I go along., but for now I've got to get back to work... the hot sun calls me to sweat!
 
Charge on!
 
Kevin Torpey

--- On Mon, 8/3/09, merrick white <r__merrick_white@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

From: merrick white <r__merrick_white@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Anybody Out There?
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, August 3, 2009, 11:21 PM

 

Kevin, Sorry you are feeling ignored. I went back to the post you referred to and remembered reading it. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I read that you wanted to be able to spin 360 degrees inside an outboard well I moved on. That type of tech is way beyond me.

Now you mention a 17x17 prop and shaft. I have a 17x18 on my Freedom 32 (9k disp). With that huge prop on your light catboat you should have no problem finding your speed. I got my motor system from Electric Yacht http://www.electric yacht.com/ and have been very happy with it. They can set you up to match your boat and prop.

Good Luck!
Merrick

--- In electricboats@ yahoogroups. com, "kevintorpey" <kevintorpey@ ...> wrote:
>
> I posted about a week ago that I was converting my old catboat to electric and thought that someone might be interested to give me some input/advice on a good system to implement as the primary source of propulsion. I have read countless posts over the past year and figured someone might have a great idea.
>
> I spent a great deal of time and effort in the past couple of weeks to transform the boat into an open cocktail cruiser that fits more people and gear than a Duffy 18'. But before I commit to a power source, I thought someone might like to offer guidance or reassurance on the project.
>
> I wouldn't consider using a trolling motor for obvious reasons and I have a 17" x17 degree bronze prop and nibrel shaft which I could connect via an easily installed shaft log. I have a 5hp Tohatsu outboard that moved the boat along @ 6mph and would like some input.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Kevin Torpey
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Fashion News

What's the word on

fashion and style?

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Yahoo! Groups

Weight Management Challenge

Join others who

are losing pounds.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment