Saturday, August 8, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] 4kw "Arby" motor?

 

"Refresh: my motor is bolted with stainless bolts to aluminum motor mount, with aluminum fan shroud and fan directly connected to the motor with fan just above the brush housing."

This would last about 4 months in salt conditions.

Stainless->aluminum in particular wipes the aluminum out. In salt conditions (actually fresh too since "fresh" is relative) you should use an isolating compound such as tef-gel between any dis-similar metal connections. Even with that and using various goops, sprays, etc I have noticeable pitting on my motor housing just due to exposure (note that I have a "dry" bilge using a dripless shaft seal)

I attribute my original controller failure to corrosion on the M3 lug between the Sevcon/motor causing localized overheating (not widespread enough to trigger the alarm condition). This resulted in what looks like a "cold solder" condition on that lug with intermittant failure.

The other 2 failures I had were just plain stupidity (pre-charge override). So...30% of *my* failures were corrosion.

I've had offline discussions with Arby on some of the finer points of design for marine conditions. I believe he understands it quite well (better than I at least).

I stress the point because the Thunderstruck "kit" is completely inappropriate for saltwater conditions - nothing in that wiring harness is even freshwater grade. I have replaced almost literally every connection and most of the switches.

That said...I agree with Myles - post the specs, esp given the concern in following same.

-Keith

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Get it all here

Breaking news to

entertainment news

Hollywood kids

in the spotlight

Their moms

share secrets

Get in Shape

on Yahoo! Groups

Find a buddy

and lose weight.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment