Thursday, August 6, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Anybody Out There?

 

Kevin,
Just to elaborate on Ed's thoughts regarding outboards. How about this; the Parsun (tiller model at least) does spin around 360 degrees for the maneuverability you are looking for if used as an outboard in your well. But, if after a season or two of using it as an outboard you decide you want to go the inboard route, just unclamp the Parsun and start disassembling the motor. You will find many of the parts can be repurposed for your inboard setup. The motor is the same (I believe) brushless Mars that Denny is using, the controller and contactor can be reused, there is even a cool water jacket for both the motor and controller that could be refitted if desired. You also will of course simply reuse the same battery/charger setup for either inboard or outboard. This is a way to get you out on the water immediately with an outboard, yet preserve the bulk of your investment for an inboard conversion should you choose to undertake it down the road.

Disclaimer: I am the guy from EPower Marine who would like to sell you any outboard that you decide on, if that is what you decide. I sell all of them (Torqeedo, Parsun, Ray) and more importantly I have run all of them and can discuss pros, cons, observations with you.
Best!
Todd
www.epowermarine.com

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "kevintorpey" <kevintorpey@...> wrote:
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Bachmann" <edbz@> wrote:
> >
> > >> Kevin Torpey wrote:
> >
> > >> They have 90% convinced me to go with a true inboard system.
> >
> > >> If someone had an electric outboard that wasn't outrageously priced new
> > or used I might take the easy way out.
> >
> > >> When the boat is finished it's not going to be sold so I just want
> > what's proper for my needs.
> >
> >
> >
> > Why do you think the available outboards are overpriced?
> >
> >
> >
> > The Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 and the Cruise 4.0 are in the $2,700 to $3,700
> > range. Expensive? Maybe. but seemingly very high quality.
> >
> > http://epowermarine.com/torqeedo.html
> >
> >
> >
> > The Parsun used the same engine that Denny uses and can be gotten for around
> > $2,500.
> >
> > http://epowermarine.com/parsun.html
> >
> >
> >
> > You get an awful lot of extras in there that would cost a good deal. Plus
> > there is all that fine engineering and system matching that has to be worth
> > a lot. For example the Parsun uses electronic components that you can get
> > for about $1,500 (motor, controller, cable harness)- only needing to add the
> > gears, structure to hold everything, rearings, shaft and prop. How much are
> > you going to save by going inboard if you really would prefer an outboard?
> >
> >
> >
> > (I referenced the ePower Marine site because they seem most helpful if you
> > need some guidance.
> >
> > (For another:
> > http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_marine_brushless_drive_kit.php
> > )
> >
> >
> >
> > Ed B
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> Ed,
>
> I guess I get into a lot of trouble with my choice of words. Outrageously expensive is a poor description. Who knows what I meant. If I wanted to save a bunch of money I would have sold this old boat for a couple thousand dollars and gone to the beach and watched boats go by! I don't have lots of cash in the bank with a new kid in the house this year and I just have to pull the trigger on the right system.
> Denny's inboard system seems to be very quiet. I've read and seen the videos of some of the outboard models and a couple of them whine louder than me. Especially the Torqueedo. You make an excellent argument for the outboard as there is no hit or miss involved-someone else did all the work already.
>
> I wonder what the concensus is as far as the quietest and most thrust? I'm going to have to do something soon because my lease on my little boatshop is up in September.
>
> Thanks for responding!
>
> Kevin
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment