Thursday, August 6, 2009

[Electric Boats] 4kw "Arby" motor?

 

I would think a 48v version, perhaps that can run on 24v as well, would be a
hit. Our boat, 10k lbs on paper, and more in real life, would not be
suitable for a 2kw motor, but might get along with a 4kw version.

Arby ­ if you are reading this ­ have you looked into the possibility of a
4kw version of your motor?

Chris

On 8/6/09 10:17 AM, "aweekdaysailor" <aweekdaysailor@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
>
>
> We had a sail-in to Treasure Island last weekend which included 4 e-boaters on
> 3 sailboats - mine, Hans K and Kevin brought his Erickson 27 powered by Arby's
> [http://www.advancedmarineelectricpropulsion.com/] motor. Tomasz and his wife
> came along on my boat (he's got an e-boat down in Monterey) so I got to make a
> couple of new friends to boot.
>
> It was a great day for sailing and we hit the tides well (all coming from a
> different spot on the bay). We'll hopefully get some pictures up soon.
>
> We did have a "watt race" - my boat and the Erickson running parallel and each
> calling off watt (amp actually) readings. This was all very un-scientific but
> we did calibrate the ammeters and had independent observers at least.
>
> Downwind, the 100% watt draw advantage (for example I was at 2KW, Kevin at
> 1KW) was pretty close to true. Upwind (about 15kts) it narrowed a bit to about
> 50-60% fewer watts advantage (i.e. I was at 2KW vs 1.5KW for Kevin)- making
> sense with that boat being about 30% lighter and a freshly scrubbed hull.
> (Kevin I'm going from memory, so please correct me if I mis-state). We were
> nowhere near hullspeed - maybe 4kts down and 2-3 back.
>
> I'm still nursing a set of bad batteries, comparing very different boats, mine
> needs a scrub, props, etc -- so unfortunately I don't place much faith in the
> numbers - this was intended for fun more than anything else, though I'm sure
> this will trigger some debates (what's the expected difference in those hulls,
> etc...)
>
> That said...Arby's motor is a very sweet package - very clean, compact, and
> very robustly assembled (so much so I'm afraid pictures taken of my setup are
> going to end up as "before" pictures like those diet ads in the tabloids...).
> In particular, I think the lack of exposed wiring will be a huge advantage in
> long-term reliability in saltwater installations.
>
> I think more testing is in order before declaring it SF Bay ready for a boat
> as large as mine (30' 9800lb), but it seemed to me a good fit for the Erickson
> and for the very large number of boats up to that size/vintage ready for new
> motors. The 24volt package has obvious advantages as well, though I would love
> to see 36V and 48V options.
>
> YMMV, Caveat Emptor and all that - but all in all I think it deserves
> consideration as a legitimate option in appropriate sized vessels and sailing
> conditions. What "appropriate" means will involve further testing, experience,
> testimonials, etc.
>
> -Keith
>
>
>
>
>>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment