Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Boats over 30'



How have you liked the SolidNav? The professionalism of there website
and pictures of the setup look great
Would not mind a first hand impression.

On Jun 3, 2009, at 1:55 PM, acsarfkram wrote:

>
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> This isn't Merrick, but with my Ericson 27 and a SolidNav Explorer I
> changed from a fixed 2 blade 11x10 to a fixed 3 blade 12x10.
>
> 2 blade @ 20 amps - 3knts.
> 3 blade @ 20 amps 4knts.
>
> This was observed on the same day, so same hull condition. Hope that
> helps.
>
> Mark
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Paul C. Smith"
> <paul136mc@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Merrick , I've lately been ruminating, also corresponding with
> Arby too, about how prop size and pitch affects the efficiency of
> the system with an electric drive. So , two quick questions: are you
> pretty sure of the results stated, i.e. .8 knot increase , same amps
> w/ a prop change? Possible the increase is due to a clean bottom if
> you hauled to change props, or variables other than the prop change?
> Second, what specs on the two props - what did you change? Ok , that
> was actually 3 questions... everybody having a good day? shouldn't
> we be out making a living?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> >
> > Paul <paul136mc@...>
> >
> >
> > Paul C. Smith 707 874 2112
> > PO Box 120
> > Camp meeker, CA 95419
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: merrick white <r__merrick_white@...>
> > To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 8:11:09 PM
> > Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Boats over 30'
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Mark,
> >
> > As a cruiser I would like to relate a real-life experience. In my
> Freedom 32 with my Electric Yacht 48v motor and 2 seperate banks of
> 4 - 100 amp batteries (yes, I know they should all be together -
> that's another discussion) I have powered for 17 hours straight, at
> 18 amps (3 knots) using my Honda 2000i generator connected to my
> Zivan 48v charger and arrived with 90% power in bank one and never
> used bank two at all. Now that I have a new prop that same 18 amps
> will yield 3.8 knots.
> >
> > I am not sure what you mean by saying the the 2000i will only slow
> charge one 12v battery at a time?
> >
> > Merrick White
> >
> > --- In electricboats@ yahoogroups. com, "Mark Stafford"
> <mstafford@ ..> wrote:
> > >
> > > SailingPM (other names?... I care!),
> > >
> > > Mark Stafford here echoing Keith (aweekadaysailor) . He has
> lot's of water credit. Sure start small, get some performance
> numbers, but plan to at least add another motor (dual motors driving
> your one prop shaft). Two 19 peak hp motors will give you adequate
> thrust (90% - 99% hull speed) for short term "situations" . 48volts
> of 8 Trojan T105 should give you a safe 10 minutes of high dual
> motor thrust, provided you auxiliary cool the motors. Hardly enough
> to battle adverse wind and current for transport, but plenty for
> short safety maneuvers.
> > >
> > > The HondaEU2000i is great, but inadequate since it can only slow
> charge one battery at a time. 8 Honda 2000's would be cumbersome,
> but make you a happy motor/sailor. Alternatively, a more expensive
> DC genset would make you an ecstatic motor/sailor. I am still
> looking into those for myself (55' x 10' Herreshoff in Berkeley).
> > >
> > > Mark Stafford
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In electricboats@ yahoogroups. com, "sailingpm" <sailingpm@>
> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I've been reading this board for a few years now and have
> since gotten my own boat over 30' and have been waiting for the
> right time to jump in. I know nothing of the technical electrical
> stuff but from what I've read here and see what's available for
> sale. I am mechanically able to create my own set up, but I guess
> the question always comes back to power, and juice, which for me is
> still hard to determine will be enough. Below is my info, but I
> still need confirmation that this is suitable and/or reasonable.
> Thanks for the great posts. I'm still learning much.
> > > >
> > > > Union Polaris sailboat
> > > > displacement type hull
> > > > 36' on deck
> > > > 32' waterline
> > > > 22,000 lbs
> > > > perkins 4-108 (taken out)
> > > > 100 gal diesel tank (taken out)
> > > >
> > > > The challenge for me is to be able to mosey motor (3 knots?)
> out of the Alameda Estuary to the Gate and back on battery power in
> mild wind and at slack water. By then the batteries should be down
> to 80 - 70%? I will have a honda 2000 generator for anything further
> and to stop depleting the batteries. Speed is not so important. But
> I figure this is the range I'd like to make me feel comfortable on
> batteries only at a reasonable pace.
> > > >
> > > > I'm looking at one 48 volt Etek-RT
> > > > 8 - 6 volt trojans for 48 volts
> > > > mounted a la thoosa style with the pulleys and such at 2.3:1.
> > > > My prop is 15", but I don't know pitch. It is in an aperture
> behind the rudder.
> > > >
> > > > Is this a reasonable starting point for a setup? I've seen a
> similar setup in the photos section in Vallejo.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks for sharing.
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment