Saturday, June 13, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Lithium cheaper than lead?



Those are not great prices, check out:
http://www.evcomponents.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=28

For more reasonable lithium prices.

On Jun 13, 2009, at 12:20 PM, aweekdaysailor wrote:

>
>
> Search eBay for "Lithium-Ion Battery 12V 40AH".
>
> Now granted...my (230AH) bank would run $6000. "Not cheap!" you say.
> But that's with a (reported) cycle time of 2000 cycles. I will
> generously credit my existing el-cheapo Walmart deep cycles
> batteries with 300 cycles. They cost $560 (8 x 12v). Good Trojan
> T-105's should be closer to 500 cycles - but would have cost $1200
> (8 x 6v).
>
> $4800 (equivalent cycles) is still less than $6000. And BMS +
> chargers will bump it further. But - I save 300lbs in weight, can
> distribute it better, is (maybe) safer, and get probably 20% more
> range/charge (no Peukert). It's also easy to keep spare cells on
> hand in case of failure. The form-factor is intriguing - I can see
> 3.2V cells spread out against my hull in a couple of flat 48V
> strings and saving my limited storage space for more beer...
>
> We are not quite there...but so close. Being human, we tend not to
> factor in long-term costs very well - but maybe it's time.
>
> Anyone running lithium (in a boat, not a dragster) yet? I think when
> (the rest of) my Wallyworlds die in another year or 2 - it's time.
>
> -Keith
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Get it all here

Breaking news to

entertainment news

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

A community for

small business owners

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment