Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Re: [Electric Boats] New member to the world of Electric propulsion

 

Hello Jack,
I converted my 415 Out Island ketch about 4 years ago. I have a "20KW" twin motor system at 48 VDC with a belt reduction system. Batteries are 16X Trojan T-145, which equals 520 AH. Generator is a Fisher Panda 4.2 KW at 120 VAC feeding a Victron Quattro 5000 KVA charger/inverter. 
I don't have solar, or wind power. Top speed with my system is about 6 knots. I find that 4 to 4.5 knots is the sweet spot for speed-vs-range for most situations.
Based on my system and experience with it, here's an example of what you might expect. With my generator running I can motor at 3.0 to 3.5 knots without drawing from the batteries. This is about 50 amps DC from the charger with the generator feeding it doing all it can. It can do a little more, but I limit it to 85% via settings in the charger. This example is with light wind/current. Expect considerably more, or less depending on conditions. When I have to motor into the wind for long periods, motor-sailing with the main helps increase range and/or speed. We have made trips up to 35 miles via the ICW, sailing some, motoring some, mostly at some point along the way running the generator, especially if we plan to anchor that night to minimize running time at anchor. 
If you plan to do a lot of motoring, I'd consider a DC generator. Even with a bigger AC generator, my charger is limited to 70 amps DC, and there are a lot of losses along the way. I'd say a DC generator capable of 150 amps DC would be perfect. If you need more power than that for short periods, your batteries are always there.
Happy to share more as you're questions develop.

Regards,
Chris


Sent from myPhone

On Feb 26, 2017, at 19:58, sinbosn2@gmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Hi there,
I am contemplating purchasing a sailboat which will need a heart transplant. I am interested in the pros and cons of electric motors for sailboats. 

The conversion would be to a Morgan 416 Out Island, 27,000 lbs, Ketch Rig , shallow draft‎.

Intended use would be frequently entering and leaving harbours (Tour type use) and days between any sort of power grid (remote areas, North West Atlantic). Home Port would have about 3NM to open water.

I have been presented with options for 20, 30, and 40KW options. ‎(48, 72 and 96Vdc)

‎Suggestions on Battery type, solar array, etc

Blessings,
Jack Barrett +

(Please excuse typos or apparent minor contextual or spelling errors. My 'smart' phone really isn't. At times, I will miss the obvious errors during review by pressing "SEND", before literary or grammatical perfection has been achieved.‎)

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10 smartphone on the Bell network.

__._,_.___

Posted by: Chris Hudson <clh5_98@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment