Thursday, February 2, 2017

Re: [Electric Boats] Adding batteries in series to an existing bank... thoughts?

 

I would either do two completely separate 48v packs.  Or all in series. If you go all in series, I would never go under 20% of pack capacity because I am almost sure you would reverse the weaker sells.  I would not for any reason parallel dissimilar aged lead cells,  I have never seen this end up any where but disaster. 

From: king_of_neworleans <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:56 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Adding batteries in series to an existing bank... thoughts?

 
Hi everybody. First of all, please turn your flamethrowers down to "warm". I know that the right way to build a battery bank is to buy all at once, same mfgr date and lot number, etc, but I bought what I could afford, instead of dreaming about what I could not. So, I have a bank of 8 6v golf cart batteries and they have performed well, with no loss of performance after 3 years of moderate use and careful maintenance. I am quite happy at how they have performed, especially since they only cost $85/ea, at 220ah. In fact I am so happy with them that I will be buying 8 more in a few weeks. My new controller will work with up to 120v. I have a ME0913 motor that should work just fine at 96v. So this begs the question... separate 48v banks, one big bank in parallel/series at 48v, or all batteries, new and old, in series for 96v? Intuitively I think I would want to stay away from running the new and the old in parallel. As for separate banks, yes , I know Mr Peukert will hit me on the two banks vs one big one, but I seldom run over 10a anyway, so Peukert isn't as big an issue as if I were operating at 50 or 60 amps. Series seems to me to be the lesser of three weevils but the twin banks does offer a warm fuzzy secure feeling, knowing that however much power I have used from one bank to get OUT, I have that much power in the second bank to get back IN. As I mentioned, the old batteries are still working great. I have not abused them at all, only equalized them three times, and they still deliver the juice like new, even slightly better than new. I think I am looking at at least two more years of solid use, and reasonable compatibility with brand new batteries of the same specs in series.

I will add that I don't have much specific knowledge or experience with high power DC setups, so if I go with 96v I know I will have some homework to do.

So what do you think, guys? I can do my own guessing and conjecturizing, so please, I would like very much to hear knowledgeable knowledge and not just opinionated opinions. Actual experiences you can share with me would be especially cherished.


__._,_.___

Posted by: James Sizemore <james@deny.org>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment