Saturday, February 11, 2017

[Electric Boats] Re: A suggestion to the Group

 

I'll go.


My 27' boat has a Motenergy ME0201014201 motor rated at 5kw, usable at 24v to 72v. RPM per volt constant is 50, so full power is most efficiently set to about 2400rpm at 48v. cost $375 from electricmotorsports. Prop is 14x10 RH 3-blade bronze given to me by a generous neighbor along with a spare. Reduction is a 2:1 cast iron enclosed planetary gearbox by Baldor, I think about $450, from the same vendor. Controller is (I have a couple different ones) currently I think a KBL48501 or somesuch. About $500 I think, direct from Kelly, mounted on an aluminum plate with main contactor and main battery fuse, and fuse for contactor coil. Controller has stick shift throttle option flashed, so one potentiometer controls both fwd/rev, and speed. Meters and tach are all el cheapo stuff from fleabay, total maybe $50. Bank is 8 6v GC2 Energizer flooded cell lead acid golf cart batteries from Sams Club, $85/ea. Gives me 48v nominal at 220ah. Charger is a 4 bank charger from Worst Marine that was on sale. Each pair of leads charges two batteries at I think 20a or maybe it is 15a. Top speed so far has been 5.2kts. Cable is 2/0 welding cable, with heavy duty crimped copper terminals, for all phase cables and battery cables.


As it happens, I will soon be upgrading to a new Kelly 120v 600a sine wave controller and my old old KBL48301x 300a square wave controller will be redundant since the present 500a controller will do fine as a backup, and I will be trying a 3:1 gearbox, which may replace the 2:1. I actually have two of ME0201014201 motors so I can run my somewhat bigger ME0913 motor and keep one '4201 for a spare. What this all means is that I might soon have a motor, reduction gear, and controller outfit for sale that has a proven if unspectacular track record, maybe just the thing for a newbie to fart around with. I think maybe $1k plus shipping could induce me to part with that package. Not sure yet... have to test the new equipment first. You would need to fabricate a motor mount, put together a battery bank, charger, cables, meters, switches and throttle pot, align the shaft and make all the connections. Not exactly turnkey but the essentials are there, for about 2/3 retail.


This setup worked okay with the original folding sailboat prop, though a lower gear ratio would probably have been better for that prop. This would be ideal for maybe a 10x10 three blade or maybe 12x10 I am guessing, on a typical 27' to 30' sailboat hull.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment