Monday, October 24, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] When things fail away from home - the need for remote CANbus support.

 

Always good to look at what if scenarios. I certainly did a lot of thinking about this when I first started to consider dumping the diesel engine and moving to Electric Propulsion. As far as my season being cancelled because of the issues I had this summer. It was a personal decision to scrub things.

 I had eight seasons of relatively zero maintenance and trouble free operation with my Thoosa 9000 system. I was aiming for getting at least ten years out of my 4A8D battery bank. I think I could have made it except  for the one bad battery that went south just a week before I launched this year. I decided to replace the whole bank even though the three remaining good batteries where still holding up well.  It only took a week to have them delivered but, undetected shipping damage of two of the replacements caused a further delay in installing them as I waited for the two undamaged replacements to arrive.

I found the controller failure as I turned the key to leave the dock after installing the replacement batteries.
Again eight years of trouble free operation was a pretty good streak. After contacting Dave at Annapolis Hybrid he said they were no longer using that controller because they had a few unexplained failures like mine. But the new controller they use would not fit into the same box on board since it was larger and more robust. He gave me several options to either replace the controller box or use another new smaller controller that's used for the Thoosa 7000 system which would fit into my boats box. Of course I do have a third option which was to just replace the current controller with a replacement too. But, the out of the blue failure gives me pause to go that route. 

Dave had all the parts to deliver a new controller which would probably take about a week. It was getting to be late in the season and I was going to be away from the boat for a number of weeks this year. Plus it's hot working down below in the summer heat. :)  I decided to hold off until the boat was on land before I decide which way to go. It was my decision not to rush to repair things but, I suspect in two weeks I would have been up and running again. Had I chose to do so.

As far as battery charger I did buy a spare Zivan  NG-1 which has never been used despite heavy usage of the original charger for things like extended electro sailing. I also have a Dual Pro 4 that can also serve as a backup charger anytime.

When I went looking for a system I liked that the Thoosa 9000 used an off the shelf LEMCO motor but, that too has been very reliable and easy to maintain as it's a brushed system. I'm still glad I went with AGM batteries in that my hunch that they could be replaced fairly fast has been borne out by my experience this summer. I am still sold on EP IMO still much more reliable and trouble free than the old diesel it replaced. 

Mike
BIANKA
http://biankblog.blogspot.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: Mike <biankablog@verizon.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment