Monday, October 24, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] When things fail away from home - the need for remote CANbus support.

 

Mike aboard Bianka this summer had a controller issue. His setup is not
brushless.
Both brushed and brushless motors are going to have some kind of
controller.
Yes, brushed motors *can* operate right off of battery voltage. But
with no motor control.
Let's assume that I had a brushed setup and my controller blew while I
was far from my home port, but still not far from civilization.

No motor control on a battery-connected brushed motor means just that.
You've got to have big knife-switches reminiscent of Frankenstein's lab.
You may be using your key-switch to pulse your motor on and off.
You have no reverse. So coming in to that anchorage will be
interesting.
Personally, I would rather sail in.

A dead brushed controller would still prevent me from leaving my slip.
A massive network of series/parallel contactors for speed control and
reverse would make for a fairly complex throttle setup. Custom work to
be sure.
Not so simple. It would actually be cheaper in the end to carry a spare
controller.

For my brushless setup, my motor is the ME0913. About $850.
My controller is the Sevcon Gen4 275A (small) model. Probably about the
same price.
I am less concerned with the unit price as I am in the immediate
availability.
If I can just order a replacement controller from any forklift shop (or
have my vendor drop-ship it to me) and get my vendor to update the
firmware on it once I install it in my boat, everything is great.
If I have to wait for my vendor to order a controller, program it and
then ship it to me, that is lost time. On my 6-month sailing season, so
lost time means wasted money.

My opinion is worth what you've paid for it.

/Jason

On 2016-10-24 13:34, 'PISQUE1969 .' surv69@gmail.com [electricboats]
wrote:
> can't things be cobbled together with a permanent magnet motor and
> forget the programmed controller?
>
> It seems that most all the problems with the brushless motors is
> controller issues.
>
> Give me pure simplicity ... even at the cost of some range ...
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 10:51 AM, GNHBus@aol.com [electricboats]
> <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
>> Good for You Jason, you "hit the Nail on the Head" .
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Jason Taylor jt.yahoo@jtaylor.ca [electricboats]
>> <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
>> To: electricboats <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
>> Sent: Mon, Oct 24, 2016 10:08 am
>> Subject: [Electric Boats] When things fail away from home - the need
>> for remote CANbus support.
>>
>> This post turned out longer than I had initially thought. It's
>> basically just some musings on the reliability of electric
>> propulsion
>> systems and how to keep going when "something fails". Mike on Bianca
>>
>> recently lost a season due to issues with a battery and his
>> controller.
>> Some (not electric) boats at my yacht club recently lost valuable
>> sailing time due to engine issues. I had an issue with water finding
>>
>> its was to my battery. I have even had a minor issue with the
>> key-start
>> (water again). My issues were quickly and easily resolved, but it
>> got
>> me thinking...
>>
>> One of the features which drew me towards electric was the ease with
>>
>> which individual components can be replaced compared to diesel. But
>> judging from some recent component failures I have 1st and 2nd-hand
>> experience of, I don't think that's quite the case. Both
>> technologies
>> are fraught with expensive, hard to find parts, requiring sourcing
>> from
>> the vendor. I still wouldn't go back to diesel, but these past
>> couple
>> of years have opened my eyes somewhat.
>>
>> How would you compare season-debilitating problems you have suffered
>> (or
>> could suffer) to a diesel boat? We had two boats at our club have
>> engine troubles mid-season. One actually had to replace his engine
>> (he
>> followed his mechanic's advice and did not go electric) and the
>> other
>> had a fuel pump fail towards the end of the season. Yes, around
>> these
>> partrs, end of October is pretty much end of the sailing season. It
>> makes me sad, but it just means boating has a more project and
>> maintenance oriented aspect.
>>
>> The boat that replaced their engine was out for about 9 weeks (mid
>> July
>> to end of September).
>> The boat with the failed fuel pump was out for about a month.
>> Both boats suffered delays from parts and mechanic availability.
>>
>> I have been thinking about this a lot as regards my boat's electric
>> propulsion setup. What are the parts that could really play havoc my
>>
>> season? How could I get back on the water as quickly as possible?
>> Personally, I am not about to stow a spare motor, controller,
>> charger,
>> and battery for those "just in case" situations. That's a lot of
>> capital tied up in contingency. But how can I salvage a holiday (or
>> even the entire season) if any one of those fail?
>>
>> Battery:
>> I think the most difficult part to replace is a Lithium cell.
>> Because
>> they have a shelf-life, and lithium prices have fluctuated recently,
>>
>> nobody stocks them which means that any replacement would have to
>> come
>> directly from China. I can probably get around this issue by have a
>> house-bank made up of 4 identical cells. Should a propulsion bank
>> cell
>> fail, I could scavenge from the house bank and short-term replace
>> the
>> house bank with a wet-lead deep cycle from Sams or Costco.
>>
>> Motor & Controller:
>> Since the motor is brushless, it relies on the controller to
>> operate.
>> Being brushless, there is very little that can go wrong with the
>> motor
>> itself. No contacts to wear out or short. So long as it isn't given
>> an
>> over-current situation and is kept reasonably cool, it should
>> outlast
>> most of the boat. To get the most out of the motor, the controller
>> needs to know everything about the motor and how it should be used.
>> I
>> can't just swap out a dead controller for another one. Not even a
>> same
>> make/model one. It needs to have the vendor-supplied motor profile
>> installed. This makes me reliant on my vendor exclusively for
>> controller issues. I either find a way for the vendor to do remote
>> config support on a new controller or I ship it to him and wait. I
>> am
>> convinced that a RaspberryPi (tiny, low-power computer) with a
>> CANbus
>> controller would be perfect for a vendor to do onsite support of the
>>
>> motor controller from their location. If anything, they could
>> overnight-express ship a module to the customer and guide them in
>> connecting it and then upload the new firmware remotely. It's a
>> matter
>> of time before all the vendors do this, or just build it into the
>> installed system directly for telemetry.
>>
>> Charger:
>> The charger is pretty much a non-issue. My charger has profiles for
>> lithium packs from 8 to 18 cells. My pack is 16 cells. So if I lose
>> a
>> cell or two, I can still charge the pack properly. However, with my
>> Battery Management System in place, any plain old constant current /
>>
>> constant voltage power supply would work just fine, so long as the
>> BMS
>> can control it, which it can via a solid state relay on the
>> charger's AC
>> supply.
>>
>> So, my critical components are a 100ah lithium cell and a programmed
>>
>> motor controller. Everything else is just hardware that can be
>> cobbled
>> together from any electronic parts store or West Marine. Since spare
>>
>> cells can be carried on board by way of a small house bank, that
>> leaves
>> just the controller and its programming as the critical path.
>>
>> In closing, as a quick plea to all the vendors out there, any chance
>> we
>> can home on on this remote CANbus management idea? It really would
>> be a
>> boon to the e-boating industry as a whole if one vendor can provide
>> hardware for another vendor's system, and then allow the individual
>> vendors to support their customers remotely. The Raspberry Pi with a
>>
>> CAN controller would also allow for system telemetry to be sent to
>> the
>> vendor for ongoing profiling and customer support. This is also
>> something that is available for larger diesels and is certainly
>> going to
>> be an option for new installs on smaller ones as well. A massive
>> data
>> set of engine performance would also do wonders for our field.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> /Jason
>> --

--
Jason Taylor
--
S/V Fugu
1978 Beneteau First 30
Electroprop PM-20

__._,_.___

Posted by: Jason Taylor <jt.yahoo@jtaylor.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment