Friday, October 28, 2016

[Electric Boats] Cheap Sinewave BLDC Controllers

 

I was just looking at the kellycontroller.com website because I am thinking about buying a sine wave controller to experiment with. Currently I am using one of their square wave controllers with a ME0201014201 5kw motor and we have discussed motor noise on this forum in the past, so I intend to take one for the team, pony up and buy a presumably quieter sine wave controller for comparing noise levels and possibly extending motor life.

Kelly used to only sell square wave controllers, but now they have an extensive lineup of sinewave BLDC controllers. I just thought I would mention, for the benefit of those with limited funds for repowering, that some of their new sine wave controllers are VERY cheap. For instance, http://kellycontroller.com/kls7230s24v-72v300asinusoidal-brushless-motor-controller-p-1343.html, KLS7230S,24V-72V,300A,Sinusoidal Brushless Motor Controller rated for 120A continuous, for $209.00. It looks a little light to me and would definitely need a heat sink at higher power levels, but it would work okay for the 5kw motors that so many of us use, I think. And in fact, many e-boaters seldom use more than 20 or 30A at 48V, so how about this one: http://kellycontroller.com/kls4812s24v-48v120asinusoidal-brushless-motor-controller-p-1347.html, 50A continuous, for $149.00. Can't get much cheaper than that, and it's sine wave BLDC. I will be using something with a bit more power available, for my own eboat, though, to keep upgrade options open, and for better heat dissapation. They have units up to 144v at 500a peak so I am sure I can pick one out that will satisfy me LOL

I have no financial interest and I hope this is not regarded as spam. Apologies if it is taken that way...  I just thought the info might be useful to some of the new guys trying to cobble something together on the cheap.

Oh and these controllers are user configurable, with serial to usb cable and a WinDOHs computer. I am thinking a $375 ME0201014201 motor with the $149 controller, FLA batteries, trailer axle thrust bearing and homebrew belt reduction drive for one very inexpensive setup for an under 30' boat. Or even direct drive through a thrust bearing, with a typical folding sailboat prop. It could be just the thing to get some poor working guys on the water in eboats instead of just daydreaming about it. Nothing high performance at all about that setup, but it would work, and cost less than a new 4hp outboard.

Comments? Don't worry I got my flame proof drawers on, so fire away.


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment