Friday, October 21, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] grounding

 

Sorry for my delay in introducing myself, I have been a marine electrician for more years than I want to admit to as well as structural fiberglass and gel-coat repairs, and general boat repairs and refits. I have been following the posts here as a "lurker" some might say, as I am trying to gain information on electric boat systems as I am planning on a refit on my own boat, just didn't feel I would have much to contribute. That being said, and at the risk of upsetting anyone I felt compelled to respond to this post. 

The question you posed is a great one!  But (dont ya hate the the but!) the proper response would require a bit more information. 
Are you trying to ground the DC system or Bond the Boat as well?
Where you attach the "ground" to the mount makes a difference, if on the base it would not help as a "ground" as it would be isolated from the engine block by the rubber, the ground should go directly to the engine block as your "fault ground to earth" but could be part of your bonding.
Do you have any AC current sources on the boat? Such as shore power, gen set or inverter? Rule is that all "grounding" goes back to its source.
I certainly dont want to upset anyone, but with the rise of drowning by electrocution in marinas and around poorly wired boats the utmost care should be exercised in regards to the electrical system, I highly recommend knowledge of and adherence to the current ABYC standards. If your unsure please consult with a qualified technician.
Again I apologize if I have offended anyone as it certainly is not my intent!! 

__._,_.___

Posted by: sideshiftny@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment