Thursday, October 27, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: When things fail away from home - the need for remote CANbus support.

 

I opened the boxes for my thunderstruck 10 kW kit yesterday. Modifying brackets for reduction gear today. Trying for installation by this weekend. All good


From: moriartybob@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>;
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>;
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: When things fail away from home - the need for remote CANbus support.
Sent: Thu, Oct 27, 2016 1:34:38 AM

 

Jason, thanks for the thoughtful post.
Might I suggest...  when it fails, raise the sails.  :-)

I don't yet have too many miles on my sailboat with its year-old auxiliary electric propulsion.
My only real shakedown cruise was aborted after a day because of an overheating motor controller. No components failed and needed replacement. I just had to do some better thermal management.

There are a number of "black boxes" in my installation, e.g. a Sevcon4 controller, a pair of 48V -> 12V converters, a shunt, a contactor, a DC distribution box, a Midnite Solar controller, some networked "smart" battery chargers and a few other components, But I like to think that these are all non-mechanical and not prone to failure. Could be wrong. Time will tell.

I think I now know enough to identify a component failure in my system (and maybe even work around it). Could be wrong about this, too.

When/if I embark upon some coastal cruising in a year or so, I'll be counting on my electric propulsion to get me off the dock, help propel me out of the way of approaching freighters, and to use up, via electro-sailing,
some of the electrons that the solar panels put in the battery bank.
 
Cheers,

--Bob M

__._,_.___

Posted by: L Schmitz <terminalift@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment