Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] So, What ABOUT Paddlewheels?

 

Going fast with any electric boat sounds like a great way to drain batteries to me. And  I like going slow. I had an outboard and the thrill lasted a few minutes. I have seen a rare occurrence when high power was used to get through rough conditions. However I'm not certain it was the only option. Most sailboats don't have a lot of power. 
 The draft and weeds factor is interesting. How many manatees have been scarred by a paddle wheel?  
 I watched some you tube videos of high speed paddle wheels. It was a lot of noise and spray. The ones going slow were great. As were the steamboat paddle wheel projects. I recommend watching those the most. Gorgeous boats!
 A real study of efficiency would be helpful. 
 The variety of applications on this forum is interesting. I'll read through more of the past topics. 

Jeremy

On Oct 10, 2016, at 7:13 PM, Mike Ransom likeabikemike@gmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

I finally feel like I have one small thing to contribute. I used to do human-powered kinetic sculpture races and about 95% of the machines used paddle wheels, mostly because it was easier to do the makeshift homebuilt type of construction they use. I will say, however, that the few that tried propellers had more trouble with vegetation getting stuck in them.

Mike

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 3:52 PM, king_of_neworleans <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

The discussion here has touched upon paddlewheels a time or two recently, and I was wondering if anybody has ever done an in depth study on them, particularly regarding their efficiency at low speeds compared to conventional propellors. No, I am not contemplating building a paddlewheeler... just idle curiousity. It seems to me that they should work well until they are turning fast enough to cavitate up a froth and fling water up at the sky. I understand the other drawbacks... big, bulky, kinda fragile, noisy, but they have a certain charm about them, and a split wheel with both sides independently powered would be fairly maneuverable, especially with flanking rudders forward. As a bonus, a paddlewheel would probably catch fewer crab traps than a screw prop, and be better in extremely shallow water.


__._,_.___

Posted by: "P. Jeremy Baker" <childscrick@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment