Sunday, October 2, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: adding electric drive to existing diesel engine

 

What I'd like to know is how to weld aluminum?
Hi Jeremy,
If you don't know what it takes to weld aluminum, it means you're not a welder, which makes it even harder to weld as aluminum is one of the harder metals to weld, especially without the right equipment and welding supplies.
Having said that, I have welded thicker aluminum when I was in Vietnam with an arc welder with the right coated aluminum rods. I have also welded it with oxy acetylene with the right coated rods. I think I may have used the arc rods for that, but I also had some rods and a can of flux. The main problem I had with the gas welding was aluminum dissipates heat fast, so I had a hard time getting the inch and an half piece  hot enough to weld. Inch and a half was on a personnel carrier machine gun mount.
In this day and age, the best way to do it, is with a tig welder with the right rod and gas, or a mig welder. Unfortunately, this type of welding equipment isn't cheap, but maybe you can find some stuff at Harbor Freight that will fit your budget. You will need either coated welding rod, or the right gas to do it, not sure what is available these days?
If you can figure out how to bolt it together, you might be better off, but I don't know what you plan to weld.
Good luck on your project.
 
Bob Noble
Blog: http://bobseyes.net
 
Sent: Saturday, 1 October, 2016 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: adding electric drive to existing diesel engine
 


No hull yet. Im driving across the country in my converted shorty school bus in a week or two. As far as a hull; something roomy for the intracoastal waterway, lakes, backwaters, of Florida. I hear there's hundreds, maybe thousands, of miles of them. I've seen nice factory electric pontoon boats but they are expensive. So I'm researching rebuilding a used pontoon boat. Ive seen them that need the deck replaced. And a solar panel canopy seems like it would fit well on a floating platform like that. Propulsion might be with a DIY sternwheel?. A horizontal shaft is very adaptable for DIY applications. What I'd like to know is how to weld aluminum?
I'm researching unique gearboxes and power transfer made by Staton Inc. They freewheel and are heavy duty but also lightweight and very affordable. A electric motor or combustion engine can be used. I think they have one with several shafts so both could be used. And they can be order! ed with centrifical clutch so they freewheel. Might be onto something here.
If the paddle wheel is covered by a box it becomes less noisy.
Efficiency of a gearbox, chain, and paddle wheel is a issue that needs more attention.
I appreciate any suggestions and am curious what the options are?

Jeremy

On Oct 1, 2016, at 7:26 AM, king_of_neworleans <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

So Jeremy, do you already have a hull? What kind of usage do you anticipate for your e-boat? Sea, bays and sounds, rivers, lakes, ponds? Overnights, liveaboard, or just day cruising?

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Bob Noble" <bnoble@sonic.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (18)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment