Sunday, September 9, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] battery safety issues

 

On my boat the contactor inside the box that also houses the controller and fuse is the only disconnect besides unbolting the terminals from the battery tabs. You do also have a fuse between your battery and controller don't you?

Capt. Mike

Sent from on board BIANKA
http://biankablog.blogspot.com

From: semicolonsutra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 21:05:44 +0000
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] battery safety issues

 

Hi,

I finally got my ThunderStruck ME0913/Gen4 connected up on my 6ton wooden sailboat. I've got 4 110Ah 12V batteries connected in series. Since I just got the motor running for the first time yesterday I was a little apprehensive leaving the boat with everything connected so I carefully disconnected the Gen4 from the power supply and made sure that the + && - terminals leads were on opposite sides of the boat, so to speak. I'm wondering though what are the best practices for safety regarding battery hookups to the engine. Should I run the circuit through a "1/2/all" type battery switch or is it ok to have the only switch be the ignition key/contactor? In general I just want to be able to leave the boat at the end of the day with some assurance that a fire is not going to ensue. Any advice on safety best practices would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bradley

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment