Friday, September 28, 2012

[Electric Boats] Finally ready to take the plunge

 

I have been lurking on this list for a long time now, and am finally ready to give up on the poor old Volvo...

My boat is a westsail 32

32 feet long
20000 lbs displacement.

I am hoping to get a range of 20 or 30 nm,  at 4 or 5 kts.

I should also want to be able to hit my hull speed of 6 or 7.5 kts for 10 min or so to get over a bar or out of the way of a ship.

I am thinking of a 48 volt system.

eventually I would like to do a diesel genset installation, but probably a honda 2000 generator for the time being.

I have heard the figure of 1kw per ton of displacement, does it seam like the 10.5 kit from thunderstruck motors would be sufficient?

http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/sevcon-brushless-sailboat-kit-10.5kw.html

most likely I would get their gear reduction:

http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/ts-gear-reduction.html

Is any one using ME 0913 on a boat as heavy as mine?

I am thinking of going with AGM type batterys.

how big a battery back do you recommend?

Thank you for your time.... (and encouragement?)

Anton

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment