Thursday, September 20, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: torqueedo

 



Previously I used a Nissan 5 HP 2-cycle engine.

I have used our Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 tiller model with four GC2 batteries for the past two seasons on a Capri 22. That gives us about 2 hours full throttle — about 5 knots. It agrees with Torqeedo's estimates on their website. Bring it back down to 3 knots and we can go all day.

This year I added a 100 watt solar panel attached to the aft pulpit (no, I can't call it a "pulpit"). I use a Genasun 8A 24V MPPT Boost Controller to take the output of a single solar panel to the required charging voltages for the 24 volt/210 amp battery bank. (36 and 48 volt versions are also available).

We have not run out of battery charge at any time this season. We use the motor to get out of the mooring field and quickly run to the start line for Wednesday evening racing and other regattas. We have also motor-sailed around the Boston Harbor Islands with plenty of charge left.

My wife and I like the quiet so we can communicate when rushing out, talk when coming back in. The twist grip control is very simple. With the power on, we can instantaneously start the motor and maneuver out of problems.

I have done no real maintenance to the motor. It is on the motor mount all season, tilted out of the water. The batteries get checked frequently but haven't needed any topping off so far.

We are happy customers.

John

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> I would first recommend that you do a search of the messages on this Yahoo group for "Torqeedo". There have been countless posts concerning people's first hand experiences with a variety of the Torqeedo products.
>
> That said, I own a Torqeedo Travel 801, replacing a Tohatsu 2hp outboard for my dinghy. Like I have stated here many times, it has met most of my expectations, the only thing that I didn't expect was how fast I could run it to empty at full throttle. Of ccourse the answer there is use the speed control wisely. I just spent another weekend anchored on the backside of Catalina Island, and was able to perform all of our shore duty and came back with about 50% of my charge. If I remember correctly, I bought the Torqeedo in 2008, I haven't had any problems to date.
>
> A number of multihull racers (Multi 23 trimarans) in my marina have switched to Torqeedo 1003s to get in and out of their slips and to the start line. They all report that the motor is a better answer than the typical 3.5hp IC outboard, again taking range as a compromise. The Multi 23 that participated in the race to Catalina this last weekend hadd to switch back to his little Honda outboard to meet the safety requirements of the race rules (20nm of motoring at square root of waterline). But he switched back to his Torqeedo as soon as he got back to the marina.
>
> Fair winds,
> Eric
> Marina del Rey, CA
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "danblu@" <danblu@> wrote:
> >
> > Any feedback on the torqueedo electric outboards?
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment