Saturday, September 29, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Finally ready to take the plunge

 

Hi Anton,
I can't help with advice but I wil be keenly interested in how you go about this and the resulting performance as I have an Atkins "Thistle" type of yacht.  Mine is ferro cement and has an isuzu 25 hp diesel clunker onboard. 
I guess keeping the trim similar would be an ideal and in my case that means I could have total weight of about 800 lbs.  Motor gearbox and 228 litres fuel all under the cockpit.   So roughly 300 or 400 amp hours at 48 volts should be fairly close to that weight and , I have no actual experience  but, should give you the range you need and keep your trim.
Best of luck,
pete.


From: Yahoo <antonherbert@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, 29 September 2012 9:53 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Finally ready to take the plunge

 
I have been lurking on this list for a long time now, and am finally ready to give up on the poor old Volvo...

My boat is a westsail 32

32 feet long
20000 lbs displacement.

I am hoping to get a range of 20 or 30 nm,  at 4 or 5 kts.

I should also want to be able to hit my hull speed of 6 or 7.5 kts for 10 min or so to get over a bar or out of the way of a ship.

I am thinking of a 48 volt system.

eventually I would like to do a diesel genset installation, but probably a honda 2000 generator for the time being.

I have heard the figure of 1kw per ton of displacement, does it seam like the 10.5 kit from thunderstruck motors would be sufficient?

http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/sevcon-brushless-sailboat-kit-10.5kw.html

most likely I would get their gear reduction:

http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/ts-gear-reduction.html

Is any one using ME 0913 on a boat as heavy as mine?

I am thinking of going with AGM type batterys.

how big a battery back do you recommend?

Thank you for your time..... (and encouragement?)

Anton



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment