Sunday, September 9, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] battery safety issues

 


Capt Mike,

Thank you for your message. I do not have any fuse in the system besides the fuse on the main board of the Gen4. The (+) battery lead is bolted to one side of the contactor and the other side is bolted to the (+) the Gen4 and a fuse connects that lead to (B+) terminal on the Gen4 (see picture here:  http://www.electricautosports.com/files/imagecache/product_full/dsc_0561.jpg).  Do I need another fuse in this system?  

Bradley


--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Capt. Mike" <biankablog@...> wrote:
>
> On my boat the contactor inside the box that also houses the controller and fuse is the only disconnect besides unbolting the terminals from the battery tabs. You do also have a fuse between your battery and controller don't you?
>
> Capt. Mike
>
> Sent from on board BIANKA
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: semicolonsutra no_reply@yahoogroups.com
> Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 21:05:44
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Reply-to: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Electric Boats] battery safety issues
>
> Hi,
>
> I finally got my ThunderStruck ME0913/Gen4 connected up on my 6ton wooden sailboat. I've got 4 110Ah 12V batteries connected in series. Since I just got the motor running for the first time yesterday I was a little apprehensive leaving the boat with everything connected so I carefully disconnected the Gen4 from the power supply and made sure that the + && - terminals leads were on opposite sides of the boat, so to speak. I'm wondering though what are the best practices for safety regarding battery hookups to the engine. Should I run the circuit through a "1/2/all" type battery switch or is it ok to have the only switch be the ignition key/contactor? In general I just want to be able to leave the boat at the end of the day with some assurance that a fire is not going to ensue. Any advice on safety best practices would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bradley
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment