Thursday, September 6, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] battery costs

 

quite interestin Eric , I had never heard of these little buggars , so I 'm glad you've enlightend me today , thanks then , eh?




From: Eric <ewdysar@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, September 6, 2012 11:11:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] battery costs

 

Hi Don,

You already understand putting batteries in series because you are planning onusing eight 6V batteries on your boat. You can also see how you could use four 12V batteries to do the same thing. Well, the common prismatic lithium cells used most often in our electric boats can be though of as a 3V battery. It all works the same, to get 48V you connect sixteen 3V cells in series and you've got 48V. The nice thing is that LiFePO4 cells are available in a large variety of sizes from 40Ah, 80Ah, 100Ah, 160Ah, 200Ah and I've even seen 1000Ah cells (I think that someone on this group bought a set of 1000Ah cells for his cabin cruiser).

My 48V system is sixteen 160Ah cells, that gives me 8kWh and they weigh only 200 lbs. There are a number of other advantages to LiFePO4 cells over most lead acid batteries (flooded or AGM). Every battery choice has it's tradeoffs but that has been covered many times before on this list. You can use the search function in this group to find a great deal of info that is directly focused on the electric boat side of things.

Fair winds,
Eric
1964 Bemuda 30 ketch, 5.5kW Propulsion Marine drive, 8kWh litium battery
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, donald bland <dlblandjr@...> wrote:
>
> Andrew, are you talkin 1 $800 24vdc battery, or what?
> I am , for my vessel, thinkin , 8pcs , individual 6v batteries , $ 300 each ,
> batteries of 6vdc
>
> strapped down into under the saloon floor the keel , benefiting balance, and
> wired into arrays accordingly.
> so to answer you retoric question , sounds great , cept , I think I need 48 v ,
> for a E.Y. system as I understand it .
> so . . . we have Mike , and George , whom we can , thankfully ask , for a wee
> physics lesson then mates!
> perhaps maybe this other fellow, Aaron Vivian , will sign in as he said he would
> and further enlighten our little minds , eh ?
> weeel , I must indulge my better half in going out to dinner , so we must resume
> this convo on the morrow , eh mates?
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment