Thursday, September 6, 2012

[Electric Boats] An off-grid existence

 

Has anyone totally broken loose from the grid yet? By totally broken loose, I mean that the only 'need' for tying up to a dock when cruising would be to take on water and provisions.

I have a 48v Lithium system and the choices for off-grid charging are slim. For a sailboat my size, a 1963 Columbia 24, a couple of permanent solar panels and a wind generator seem to be the best bet.

Does anyone know of any 48v solar panel distributors? Or, should I go with the 24v units and use a MPPT? I'm thinking that I will loose efficiency with that setup, but I'm just now learning about MPPTs.

Also, if I go the solar/wind option as is likely, does anyone have experience and recommendations on a duel charge controller system?

For what it's worth, my goals are impressively simple: I'd love a system that allows me to recharge my electric drive and house system while anchored. My power consumption will be very mild (laptop, monitor, VHF, AIS, GPS, anchor windlass, depth, speed, and wind electronics, a wash-down pump, navigation and house lights, and a small stereo / if the system can handle the draw, maybe even a portable fridge/freezer).

Looking for advice, recommendations, and knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

JB
SailingSineMetu.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment