Saturday, September 8, 2012

[Electric Boats] battery safety issues

 

Hi,

I finally got my ThunderStruck ME0913/Gen4 connected up on my 6ton wooden sailboat. I've got 4 110Ah 12V batteries connected in series. Since I just got the motor running for the first time yesterday I was a little apprehensive leaving the boat with everything connected so I carefully disconnected the Gen4 from the power supply and made sure that the + && - terminals leads were on opposite sides of the boat, so to speak. I'm wondering though what are the best practices for safety regarding battery hookups to the engine. Should I run the circuit through a "1/2/all" type battery switch or is it ok to have the only switch be the ignition key/contactor? In general I just want to be able to leave the boat at the end of the day with some assurance that a fire is not going to ensue. Any advice on safety best practices would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bradley

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment