Thursday, September 6, 2012

[Electric Boats] ~40' Electric catamaran

 

Hello everyone,

I'm in the beginning design stages of ~40' power catamaran. The boat
is expected to come in at around 8 tonnes and I'd like to be able to
achieve 12kt. The designer thinks 50hp per side of ICE would give me
12kt. Most of the time we'd be doing 6-8kt but I like the ability to
move faster if needed. I'm investigating going with electric, or some
sort of hybrid setup and I have a few questions.

1) It looks like dual Kostov 11" 250v motors would give me the
required HP to hit my 12kt. Are there serious concerns about running
such a high voltage on the water? I've read of yachts doing 144v..
which sounds scary enough!

2) Is anyone aware of a mfg of DC generators that go up to 250v?

3) How about solar chargers? I think I'll be able to fit 5000w+ of
solar, no idea on how to get the 30-40v solar to 250v.

Thanks,
-rja

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment