Friday, August 7, 2009

RE: [Electric Boats] Re: Diesel Generators for electric conversion

 

I've certainly thought of it and do plan to do something along those lines,
however I can't understand how they charge $10K+ for an 8KW diesel generator
when I can buy a new 30HP pusher diesel for that price. If the generators
were in the more reasonable $3-$5K range, I think a lot of us would have
been buying them.

DaveH

-----Original Message-----
From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of rebollo.angel
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 2:35 PM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Diesel Generators for electric conversion

I take it nobody has a diesel generator onboard, or have thought about
adding one? Any opinions?

Thanks!

Angel A. Rebollo

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "rebollo.angel" <rebolloa@...> wrote:
>
> Hello, I have a Catalina 30, and I have been reading the messages from
this fantastic group for the past couple of months. I have not decided yet
on which electric motor to use, what type of batteries to use, etc...
However, I learned about the 1 gallon of fuel rule, and in the interest of
safety, I am looking for a genset (we are planning in cruising in the
Bahamas next year).
>
> Right now there are very attractive prices in South Florida for marine
gensets, and I am seriously thinking to buy one if I get the right price.
Later on, I will get the electric motor and batteries. Given I have a 1989
Catalina 30 MKII, 30 feet, what characteristics would you be looking for on
a diesel generator? DC only, AC only, DC/AC, 110 & 230 volts, 12 volts as
well, how many kilowatts, remote start, sound guard, brand, etc... Any
advice provided will be welcome. Some models I have seen for sale are
Westerbeke 7.6BTD, and Kohler Diesel 3.5 or 4EOZ.
>
> Best regards,
> Angel A. Rebollo
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.392 / Virus Database: 270.13.38/2274 - Release Date: 08/07/09
06:22:00

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment