Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Anybody Out There?

 

Kevin,

Good luck.

If you provide some more data I'll help with a back-of-the-envelope system spec.
-Waterline length
-Expected weight including people EXCLUDING batteries.
-Expected range in miles
-Expected speed
-Do you really have room for a 17" prop - that's huge for an 18' boat.

Denny

----- Original Message -----
From: kevin torpey
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Anybody Out There?

Thanks for the reply, Dennis!

I was hoping you among the others would respond. I have taken so much grief over the reasons why I would do this that I just have to do it to prove the others wrong for not trying again. On the Barnegat Bay here in NJ (Toms River) there are way too many speedboats that have ruined sailing and motorputting or stinkpotting at low speed because of the wakes and the noise levels. Last year there was a 90+% drop in their useage and it was wonderful for sailing. This year there are a few more but not anything noticeable now.

I've always liked your setup and that seems the way to go for me. I lightened the boat enough to go with the same type of setup without dragging the transom and all the water weight with it so now I have to get my centerboard trunk out of the way and get the shaft log in! Luckily the boat was designed with a cutout at the aft end of the keel for the outboard motor and the "barndoor" rudder was transom hung. I've got plenty of room for the propand a new smaller rudder.

Now I'll take good pics in addition to the phone pics I've taken so you and the others can see what you've inspired in another electric boat enthusiast.

I'll still need to gelcoat and add rubrails but that's the easy part, I gelcoat boats all the time lately thanks to accidents and ultraviolet rays!

Thanks again,

Kevin

--- On Tue, 8/4/09, dennis wolfe <dwolfe@dropsheet.com> wrote:

From: dennis wolfe <dwolfe@dropsheet.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Anybody Out There?
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 10:44 AM

For inboard power in that range its hard to beat the MARS motors for cost / hp. Either the brushed or brushless ones work well with the appropriate controller. You will have to fabricate a motor mount and thrust bearing support or spring for a complete package from electric yacht or solidnav. The thunderstruck- ev systems are popular half step between doing it completely yourself and buying a complete package like solidnav.

If you have room to swing a 17" prop you will get great efficiency. Be sure to pick the right gear ratio to load the motor properly. A good first guess would be to figure 40% slip at hull speed.

There are lots of pictures of complete systems here. The 'power' page of my website shows how I mounted a MARS BLDC motor.

You will like cruising in silence.

Denny Wolfe
www.wolfEboats. com

----- Original Message -----
From: kevintorpey
To: electricboats@ yahoogroups. com
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 10:07 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Anybody Out There?

I posted about a week ago that I was converting my old catboat to electric and thought that someone might be interested to give me some input/advice on a good system to implement as the primary source of propulsion. I have read countless posts over the past year and figured someone might have a great idea.

I spent a great deal of time and effort in the past couple of weeks to transform the boat into an open cocktail cruiser that fits more people and gear than a Duffy 18'. But before I commit to a power source, I thought someone might like to offer guidance or reassurance on the project.

I wouldn't consider using a trolling motor for obvious reasons and I have a 17" x17 degree bronze prop and nibrel shaft which I could connect via an easily installed shaft log. I have a 5hp Tohatsu outboard that moved the boat along @ 6mph and would like some input.

Thanks again,

Kevin Torpey

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment