Monday, August 3, 2009

[Electric Boats] Diesel Generators for electric conversion

 

Hello, I have a Catalina 30, and I have been reading the messages from this fantastic group for the past couple of months. I have not decided yet on which electric motor to use, what type of batteries to use, etc... However, I learned about the 1 gallon of fuel rule, and in the interest of safety, I am looking for a genset (we are planning in cruising in the Bahamas next year).

Right now there are very attractive prices in South Florida for marine gensets, and I am seriously thinking to buy one if I get the right price. Later on, I will get the electric motor and batteries. Given I have a 1989 Catalina 30 MKII, 30 feet, what characteristics would you be looking for on a diesel generator? DC only, AC only, DC/AC, 110 & 230 volts, 12 volts as well, how many kilowatts, remote start, sound guard, brand, etc... Any advice provided will be welcome. Some models I have seen for sale are Westerbeke 7.6BTD, and Kohler Diesel 3.5 or 4EOZ.

Best regards,
Angel A. Rebollo

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment