Friday, June 9, 2017

[Electric Boats] Re: USCG Boatbuilder's Handbook Electrical Systems

 

Scott,


I did not mean to disparage your contributions and I apologize for responding to your post while using my phone rather than waiting until I was home and could fire up my computer with my reference documents.  That said, I did read the entire document that you posted and did notice that it did not address known details that relate specifically to electric propulsion systems. I also noticed that USCG limited the applicability of the entire document to the excerpt that I quoted last time. 


The wiring standards that have been the go-to reference in this group for many years are the ABYC E-11, AC and DC Electrical Systems on Boats.  "This document is limited to the design, construction and installation of direct current systems that operate at a potential of 50V or less and alternating current electrical systems operating at frequencies of 50 or 60 Hz and less than 300V ("extra low voltage")..." I can see that the USCG document that you posted shares a number of the diagrams and tables with ABYC E-11. 


For drive systems that exceed 50VDC, one should also consult ANSI/ABYC TE-30 available from ANSI (American National Standards Institute) or ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council).  From the ANSI website, "This technical information report is a compilation of the key safety requirements of commonly used national and international standards related to voltages and the design, construction, and installation of electrical systems and components used in high voltage electric propulsion systems".  Unfortunately, this document is not in the public domain, and therefore cannot be shared in it's entirety in this forum. The report is available for purchase or is available to members of ANSI or ABYC. 


I mentioned James because I know that his systems comply with ABYC E-11 and ABYC TE-30 and he has shared some of the salient details in his manual "The Electric Boat Book" that has been recommended recently by other members of the group.


Another resource that I have seen recommended, although I have not read it myself, is Nigel Calder's latest edition of "Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual".  It is my understanding that this latest edition (2015) added information specific to electric and hybrid propulsion. 


And yes, I saw what you did there.  I've been signing my posts like that here since about 2010. I'll choose to take that as "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".


Fair winds and calm seas,

Eric

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30, 5kW drive, 8kWh LiFePO4 battery bank

Marina del Rey,CA

__._,_.___

Posted by: ewdysar@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment