Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Re: [Electric Boats] Mew member Westsail 32 brand new elec. motor

 

Hi Norm,

That's refreshing that you intend to sail mostly, and simply have enough skill and power to get you off a lee shore. I know (and rightly so) that vendors on the list will always advocate more power than you are likely to use on a continuous basis and indeed on a short term basis. Even with my 26ft boat and less power than most, sailing in Scotland between islands in sheltered waters without strong currents, I find if the wind is blowing even a little or none then with sail and motor or just motor I've always managed to stay out of trouble, even when it picks up to a F6 steady or F7 gusts in which case sail only is all that is needed, but it's nice to have the electric on tap for the days you might get stuck in irons approaching a shore.

My peak short term with 4 tons laden displacement is around 2.2kW. Constant, the max I'd use is about 1.6kW. Mostly if just power i Toodle around using 1kW. As I'm in sheltered waters there is also little fetch to build larger waves (over 1.5-2.0m for long) for a small boat. Personally after 5 years with mine I think it has made me a better sailor instead of resorting to the old 10hp diesel as I use to, which only gave a little more continuous power anyhow. Both I'd class as sail auxiliaries, not prime punching movers. If that's your thing then go diesel.

For me, with limited range, I now sail differently and in the main enjoy it far more with electric. Nice that you have room/safety for the bigger generator and as long as you have the chargers to match you'll rarely be left wanting. In my experience if not just under sail I go most places under power or under sail and power combined in light winds at between 3 to 4 knots on 1KW or less from the battery, subject to conditions, instead of the 4 to 4.5 I could manage with the diesel.

Electric isn't perfect, but for the typical small boat, being these days a day and weekend sailor, it is great without having to resort to a huge battery bank. A backup genny I think is essential even if rarely used. For those that want to do more then it's down to an inboard generator or a bigger diesel only boat.

As a footnote I think my 'conversion' came when passing by an island and under electric power I could hear the cuckoo calling out, something I'd never have heard with the old diesel.

John R

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment