Friday, June 30, 2017

Re: [Electric Boats] Parallel Revisited

 

Don't go past 50 on any one by battery. You could make a bus bar connection with the neg all hooked together then separate pos and switch from the cockpit every 30 min. 


 

My thinking was that connected in parallel, it would reduce DOD, keeping them more in balance and possibly extending life. Maybe that is not worth it?


On 6/30/2017 10:39 AM, Daniel Michaels nov32394@yahoo.com [electricboats] wrote:
 

If it is just a trolling motor just have extra batteries and hook them up as needed. Why hook them together? You can find 50 w solar panels panels to charge each one. About $65. Each. 


 

From recent enlightening – and somewhat disconcerting – postings on the perils of parallelism in batteries, I find myself questioning my plans. I have an old - but hopefully sturdy enough - 19 foot sailboat that I intend just to use more as an electric launch in calm conditions and only sail her occasionally. I realize lithium technology is good in the long run, and pure lead has advantages, but to see if this vessel meets my needs, I'd like to keep the investment low for the near future. Am I really inviting a whole lot of risk putting a couple of Cabela or equivalent AGMs in parallel for a couple of short seasons to power a MinnKota 55? Staying at 12 volts is not optimum, but components are cheap and available and maybe easier to sell if things don't work out.

I have a 100 watt solar panel and MPPT controller for charging. Shore power is available, but I'd rather keep it simple for awhile and forgo connecting up and running a larger charge system.

I realize a trolling motor is not optimum either and might not be reliable, but hopefully, the sails will provide backup. My one and only datapoint last season showed 212 watts at 2.4 knots, so it appears the newer PWM controller is efficient enough for my needs. But for peace of mind, it would be good to have more than the 100 Ah that one AGM provided. Any suggestions..

Walter Pearson


__._,_.___

Posted by: Daniel Michaels <nov32394@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment