Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: shaft brake

 

Mark:
 
Thanks for clearing that up. Makes a lot of sense now. Unfortunately,  I don't have the room to mount something similar in my boat so I'll be pondering other ideas.
 
Mike

 


From: acsarfkram <acsarfkram@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, November 4, 2009 8:44:16 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: shaft brake

 


Hi Mike,

Mark here. The brake rotor (not a sprocket) is designed to be spinning out in the open on a bicycle so I don't think it is a problem buried in the engine compartment.

The hardest part was designing the mount for the caliper.

Mark

--- In electricboats@ yahoogroups. com, Mike <biankablog@ ...> wrote:
>
> Victor:
>
> Very nice install. I'd like to possibly put some type of shaft brake in my boat too. But I don't think I'd have the room for what you did anyway. Your shaft brake  has what looks like the a bike sprocket attached to the shaft. But it  kind of scares me. Are you concerned that you could be sliced by a spinning gear? Reminds me of a table saw blade that could do quite a lot of damage if you are not careful around it.
>
> Mike
>
>
>
>
> ____________ _________ _________ __
> From: "vicwin2009@ ..." <sailor@...>
> To: electricboats@ yahoogroups. com
> Sent: Wed, November 4, 2009 4:44:04 PM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: shaft brake
>
>  
>
>
> --- In electricboats@ yahoogroups. com, "acsarfkram" <acsarfkram@ ...> wrote:
> >
> > I use a mountain bike cable disk brake. You can see a photo of the brake on the shaft in the photo section here (Lotus Flower). I wanted a brake that would disengage automatically when the throttle lever was set for power. The cabled brake allows me to connect to the throttle lever bell crank (SolidNav unit using existing control levers)as soon as the throttle lever is moved the brake comes off. I did need to add a brace to hold the throttle lever in the off position because the brake has a return spring. It works great.
>
> Yes I think that is a good idea. Thank you.
>
> Victor
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment