Saturday, November 14, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Greetings and Sailboat Electric Power Questions

 

Matt:
 
Welcome. Seems to me you are lucky and have two ways to go with electric propulsion for your boat. Since you are already using an outboard you might go with an electric one as a replacement. Then all you would need is to install the batteries hook them up and go. The electric outboard is not cheap but, the install would be easier than an inboard installation.
 
The installation on my 30 foot  8 ton sailboat was a little more complicated than most because the Westerebeke diesel that it replaced had a V Drive transmission and not a lot of room to mount the motor. So I had to modify the engine stringers to fit it. While I did all of the wiring install myself. I had the modifying and the fiberglassing of the stringers done by a  local yacht refitter and was money well spent IMO.  You can see that part of the installation process on board my boat at the following posts:
 
 
If you go the inboard route you would also need to install a shaft, prop and stuffing box etc...which would also add to your costs.  So an electric outboard (Cruise 4.0?) may be the way to go. I'll leave the battery size and other details those on the list who live and breath those details more than I do. But, I've just finished my second season with electric propulsion and am very glad I made the switch.
 
Capt. Mike
 
 
 

--- On Fri, 11/13/09, mpickering@mindspring.com <mpickering@mindspring.com> wrote:

From: mpickering@mindspring.com <mpickering@mindspring.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Greetings and Sailboat Electric Power Questions
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, November 13, 2009, 1:25 AM

 
Hello,

I am new to the list.  My name is Matt and I own a Catalina 27 on the Chesapeake Bay.  She's a new boat to my wife and I and we are in the process of planning our spring commissioning work.  During our winterization, our mechanic has stated we should replace the outboard that came with the board.  While I feel it is mechanically sound, additional examination will determine its future.  We are expecting we may need to repower our boat for next season.

Alas, this is costly.  A new four-stroke outboard to replace the two-stroke plus the necessary transom reinforcement for the heavier motor and mount will run the cost well north of $3000.  During my research, I stumbled across electric power and was quite surprised at the possibilities.  I came across the Thunderstruck EV sailboat kit and at $1450 for the kit with the regenerative charging, it looks very appealing.

I'm new to the prospect of electric power.  I think it could be an economical replacement for gas propulsion.  I'm not looking for cruising range but enough to get me in and out of dock and possibly a one-way trip home at just above half hull speed (say 4 knots) of no more than 30 miles or so.  I like the idea of electric with the instant-on, fewer moving parts, no fuel costs and ability to recharge the batteries under sail.  With that in mind, here are my questions:

1) Does anyone have experience with this conversion kit?  (I assume so since this group is linked on their site).
2) The site recommends a 2:1 reduction gear.  Where do I obtain such a gearbox?
3) I will need a prop, shaft and mounting hardware.  Recommendations with this kit in mind?
4) How much battery capacity will I need?  27 foot sailboat (25' LWL) displacing 6700 pounds.
5) What kind of supplemental charging system will I need and what additional circuitry is needed?  I was thinking a small wind generator in addition to my solar panels for my house batteries. 
6) Anyone know of electricians/ mechanics who have done conversion installations using this or similarly priced kits in the Annapolis or surrounding area?

My boat has never had inboard propulsion so my inboard engine space is completely open and I have the room.  I'm amenable to doing installation myself but I lack the ability to fabricate stuff like frames and so on.  So I would need assistance in that area.  If I can do a basic conversion with at least sufficient capacity to get in and out of dock and motor a couple miles in and out of the Bay, that would be a good starting point depending on cost.  Especially if I can make it come in at $3000 or less to get going.  I figure if I am going to spend the money, I might as well get something worthwhile and I think an electric inboard would have market appeal in a few years when we look to upgrade to something bigger

Any help appreciated!  Thanks!

Matt

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment