Tuesday, November 17, 2009

[Electric Boats] Genset grounding

 

As I was pondering the best way to ground my genset (deck-mount) I came across this handy solution. House AC is already grounded, so best to tap into that. Quick trip to West Marine reveals that their 30amp to 3-prong adaptor pigtail is about $60. But wait...their brand new 30amp shore-power cord is only $45 and a waterproof-ish 3-prong plug only about $15.

So...I cut my nasty old 30-amp cord near the female end and put the 3-prong on that. I use the new shore-power cord for everything -- dockside or genset, where it plugs into the DIY pigtail. Same price as if I had bought the pigtail, but with a shiny new cord as bonus.

Anyway, I would hazard that given the average age of our boats, we're all about due for a new shore-power cord.

Keeping the rest of my old cord as it's a good source for a high-amp line (I keep eyeing an anchor windlass...)

Another tip - I keep a 3-prong circuit tester plugged into the other outlet. Keeps saltwater out, tells me I'm grounded and also whether it's even putting any juice out.

-Keith

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment