Friday, May 4, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: concept for an electric houseboat

 

I agree with you about the power. A 4 mph current is not the norm of the upper Mississippi... it's fairly rare. I'd personally feel more comfortable with a lot more hp, but larger format electric outboards are just not available. The biggest I've heard of is an Aquawatt at 20kw (BIG GREEN THRUSTER 80 V 20KW). Still not a huge motor really, unless you're considering the price tag, and then it's ginormous. :)

Incidentally, I'd like to stick with a 48v system if possible. It might not be, but it's a nice-to-have in my mind.

Thanks for the feedback about the hull form. I know having the rocker like that isn't the norm, but it's not nearly as severe as Bolger's designs. (I was using Bolger and Thiel as inspirations for this design; I've heard their boats are very easily driven.) I absolutely agree that one tradeoff with the full rocker is less pitch stability. I think I'm willing to sacrifice that though because I won't be using this on big water. Do you think the rocker as pictured is so severe that it'll actually cause issues?

Cheers,
-keith

--- On Fri, 5/4/12, danbollinger <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> If this was on a lake and you only
> had to deal with the occasional headwind I'd say that 10Kw
> (13HP) was enough, but not in a 4 mph river current. I use
> my Torqeedo on a 12' john boat on the Wabash and its typical
> 2-3 mph current is formidable.
>
> Concerning the hull form, I'd take out the severe rocker.
> Putting in a flat bottom admidships will give you greater
> pitch stability, reduce draft and power requirements, too.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment