Thursday, May 31, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Electric Rowboat for 100 mile race

 

load the boat and tow it. measure what the force/velocity is
choose a velocity that will handle duration plus currents.
calculate needed thrust.
calculate battery size. Dont forget battery in your measured load.
I hope you can use lithium. I dont think much of lead/acid
the winner will be best power scheme and load is a big piece of it.
Can you use any hull?
Kirk
 
...  How beautiful it is to do nothing, then rest afterwards
    


From: tom_the_rower <ibiubu99@gmail.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:47 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Electric Rowboat for 100 mile race

 
I would like to participate in a 100 mile race in the outer banks of North Carolina in September. My 20 ft, high sided sliding seat rowboat, with 10 ft oars is the primary propulsion, and I currently run a 12 volt trolling motor with a long shaft and a group 27 deep cycle battery. I row every night, big wind or flat water 8-10 miles and have done a 20 mile day. I plan to add a pop up sail for when the wind is with me and also a parafoil sled kite as well. The rules state that I can use electric, but cannot recharge from shore, only solar. I would start on a Friday morning and must finish by Sunday at noon. Most people seem to paddle/sail 20 hours per day and sleep for 4, so some night time usage is anticipated. I would probably try to limit my usage to oncoming wind, which is tough to row in, unless LIPO 48 v would allow me to make the trip using the motor all the time. In either case, I will row continuously, so again, electric is not the only means of propulsion.

I understand that Torqueedo initially came out saying their props were super efficient, but I have heard that that was just marketing.

My boat weighs 180 lbs, plus I weigh 180 plus maybe 50 pounds of gear for 3 days.

Any advice you can offer is most welcome.

Tom the rower



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment