Monday, May 28, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Converting I/O stern drive from gas to electric

 

I know little about I/O stern drives, but I'd think that as long as
you can expose a shaft to turn from the inside, an electric motor
should turn the prop.

In converting a Honda 7.5 outboard with a 0-2000 RPM motor, I found
that a speed reduction in the foot (~2.8:1) prevented high speeds and
gave about what you're after.

Cheers,
Craig
Victoria BC
http://www.TurquoiseEnergy.com/ ("Electric Hubcap" 5KW BLDC motor, controller)

> Has anyone successfully converted an I/O stern drive boat to
>electric power while retaining the original stern outdrive
>(Mercruiser/OMC)?
>
>I would like to convert a 20 to 23 foot runabout for use on a
>"electric motor" only lake.  Maintaining the performance of the gas
>engine and running the boat on plane would not be a requirement.
> Top speed would only be 4 to 6 mph (wakeless speed).

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

2 comments:

  1. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. OMC electric outdrive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. OMC gears

    ReplyDelete