Thursday, May 31, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Electric Rowboat for 100 mile race

 

Tom

lithium is certainly lighter about 1/3 the weight of lead acid.
your assistance will reduce the load on the prop like wind assistance so provide more effective range.
Not sure if rowing is the same but the electric would certainly take you through any adverse current or wind situations which reduce average speeds so much.
 
Andrew

On 31/05/2012 11:47 PM, tom_the_rower wrote:

 

I would like to participate in a 100 mile race in the outer banks of North Carolina in September. My 20 ft, high sided sliding seat rowboat, with 10 ft oars is the primary propulsion, and I currently run a 12 volt trolling motor with a long shaft and a group 27 deep cycle battery. I row every night, big wind or flat water 8-10 miles and have done a 20 mile day. I plan to add a pop up sail for when the wind is with me and also a parafoil sled kite as well. The rules state that I can use electric, but cannot recharge from shore, only solar. I would start on a Friday morning and must finish by Sunday at noon. Most people seem to paddle/sail 20 hours per day and sleep for 4, so some night time usage is anticipated. I would probably try to limit my usage to oncoming wind, which is tough to row in, unless LIPO 48 v would allow me to make the trip using the motor all the time. In either case, I will row continuously, so again, electric is not the only means of propu! lsion.

I understand that Torqueedo initially came out saying their props were super efficient, but I have heard that that was just marketing.

My boat weighs 180 lbs, plus I weigh 180 plus maybe 50 pounds of gear for 3 days.

Any advice you can offer is most welcome.

Tom the rower

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment