Monday, May 7, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Battery Investigation: Load test

 

Steve:
 
I always noticed a slightly lower voltage reading on the battery that the Packtrakr took it's voltage. But, this year all of a sudden the battery timed out when using two seperate battery chargers. The only thing I did different this year is I did not have my wind turbine hooked up to helped keep things charged up beyond the solar panels. So I suspect that Paktrakr load finally took it's toll on the battery. So I think shutting it down when it is not really needed might be the best in the long term. I don't think you have to disconnect the Paktrakr totally just insert a switch in the negative or positive lead of the feed that powers it. At least that's what I am planning on doing.
 
Capt.Mike
 

From: Steve Dolan <sdolan@scannersllc.com>
To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, May 7, 2012 8:14 AM
Subject: RE: [Electric Boats] Battery Investigation: Load test

 
Mike,
Ya I was thinking that was the only way to do it. It's probably not a bad idea to shut the PK's off every once in a while to reset the meter. I'm getting some weird readings lately when reconnecting to the shore power, it settles down after a while but a little concerning. I've got 2 PK strings to disconnect and the switches will be in a not so convenient location to get to. I still like the fact I can see all the individual batteries though. I'm looking into the next generation of BMS systems for the LiFePo4's to see what that's going to be like when I switch to them.      
 
Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 SE


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment