Friday, January 14, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Repowering a 65 motor sailer

 

The signalink sounds like what I will get, thanks all for the suggestion. I usually am the guy who will try the cheaper route, but since we are going to use this while cruising full-time, I want to have gear that I can troubleshoot remotely with ease, and that means using “Standard” stuff people know.

On another note, I am interested in using the Kiss-SSB for ground plane, as it is simple to install (it is a boat, nothing is simple!!!) IF anyone has comments on how this may or may not work well with Winmor, I would love to hear them.

Chris


On 1/13/11 10:47 PM, "ibles_world" <ibles_world@yahoo.com> wrote:


 
 
   

I have a hydraulic generator, not set fully up, but the system already turns a shaft off the hydraulics, I already have duel AC units and a large freezer and fridge, ac inverters, and a gen set.

The prop wont do regen energy, its a full feathering prop, this means its absolutely without drag when not producing thrust.

I do like the fact that the idea has the capability to motor on electrics, but I haven't found even one motor that is electric that can produce the same power as the 160 hp turbo, and not burn up the battery bank in a matter of minutes.

Nicholas

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com <mailto:electricboats%40yahoogroups.com> , Daniel BUSH <lostboys81@...> wrote:
>
> Have you considered getting a controller and motor capable of rgenerative
> braking-?In essence you put the electirc afeter the fueled engine and use it as
> both a generator and power supply. You can use a transmission that has an
> auxialary power shaft. Some of the boat transmissions will run backwards i.e.
> turning the output shaft will push power backwards through the system Going at
> it from this drection would allow you to probably keep your current motor(
> probablly have to shift it to enable installing electric motor) and end up with
> a single system rather than several systems that you would then have to
> integrate. Look into ac motorsrunning at 110 or 220 and you should be able to
> equip the rest of your boat with regular "real' electric refrigerators,a/c and
> other equipment which is far more common,and as far as I am concerned far more
> reliable than most dc equipment. In my experience the life expectancy of most dc
> equipment is either far shorter or you pay far higher to buy the same quality.
> Dan from Lostboys
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: ibles_world <ibles_world@...>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com <mailto:electricboats%40yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Wed, January 12, 2011 5:21:16 PM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Repowering a 65 motor sailer
>
>  
> 6-8 motors.... I would like to start with 4 but it doesn't seem like enough
> power, Maybe 6 would work.. don't know... I do know at max output its
> unrealistic, but what is it a cruise speed? I have to make a excel calculator
> for this, and it would be easier to run the numbers, or is their a excel
> calculator already? I know your right, it would take an enormous gen set, or
> equal to the motors I have to power... Right? but its no difference than a
> hybrid system, just each one contains a motor and gen set in to each one. I
> might be missing something... usually do... but I'm approaching this like as if
> it was a 30ft boat with 10k-12k weight and just have to have 6 times the motors
> and systems to power it. would you agree?
>
>
> In reality its close to those numbers, a 30ft has about 30hp motor, pushing a
> 10k-12k hull around, I am 68k displacement hull and have a 160hp so at 6 times
> them I would be the equivalent of 60k-70k hull weight, 180hp worth of motors, So
> what a 30 ft boat needs I need 6 times those systems, now does each one need a
> 12k gen set? some are running just off batteries and solar. I know splitting up
> my gen set amongst 6 banks of batteries and motors gives me only 2k of power. I
> know this seems simplistic way of thinking but its really in all likely hood the
> same, even with boat expenses its 6 times the cost of a 30 foot boat. Hull
> displacement is in direct correlation with the amount of HP needed to move the
> boat, other items that affect the result would be beam and keel type, but that's
> another argument.
>
>
> So with this what size electric motor and gen set is needed for a 30ft at cruse
> speeds?
>
> Solamon, thank you for your emails, I wish I had the time to go to Florida, I
> run a company here and have a hard time just leaving for lunch...
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com <mailto:electricboats%40yahoogroups.com> , Steve Dolan <sdolan@> wrote:
> >
> > Ok I'm really confused. (not unusual)
> > You're even considering 8 motors and talking about KISS?
> > Belt Drive on a system this big?
> > Why water cooled?
> > Why are you set on a 48V system?
> > As an example the GMS system below uses 384A at 4300RPM and 48V (then at 85%
> >E). Let's see 384A x 8 motors = 3000A at 48v with an 8 pack (2 strings of 210
> >AH, 50% SOC = 100A). You should be able to run for ooh... what 30 seconds?
> > You would need a 144kw Genset.
> >
> > I'm sure I screwed up the calcs some place so educate me, it's early and I'm
> >still sleepy. :o)
> >
> > Redundancy...
> > My motors are actually 2 motors in one case each side. I have 2 controllers for
> >each side. If Â∏ of a motor goes I can run at 50% on the remaining Â∏ and full on
> >the other side.
> >
> > I have reverse
> > Direct drive = Motor, shaft, prop.
> > I'm at 144v system = much smaller wire sizes.
> > I draw a theoretical max AMPS of 150A per side (as tested by the Eng. To see at
> >what point things smoked) Never tried nor plan to but the hull speed is reached
> >at 40A per side so I don't need to go there.
> > I have a 16KW Genset (would really like a 20 or 22kw) providing 80A.
> > At 60A total I can motor all day long at around 8 knots with the genset and put
> >20A back in the batteries.
> >
> > KISS...
> >
> > Steve in Solomons MD
> >
> >
> >
> > The dual version in interesting:
> >http://www.greenmotorsport.com/green_motorsport/products_and_services/3,1,388,17,27462.html
> >l
> >
> > Just two of them cost $11,000 dollars. Eight would set you back about $45,000.
> >They seem to get two of the controllers to work together. I wonder how much more
> >work it will be for you to get 8 of them to work together?
> >
> >
> > On Jan 11, 2011, at 11:11 PM, ibles_world wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > I am looking into Green Motorsports, The motor they produce weighs in at 37lbs
> >and is 21 hp each They are water cooled Brush-less and completely sealed for
> >marine environment, 48 volts, Ac not sure if its 50 or 60 cycles, 4000 rpm. I
> >may need 6-8 of these motors, The question now is how big of a gen set would I
> >need to continually run them at half speed? Has anyone used them or done
> >research on them?
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com <mailto:electricboats%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:electricboats%40yahoogroups.com>,
> >Matthew Geier <matthew@> wrote:
> > >
> > > On 11/01/11 16:57, ibles_world wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I also was on another site and it looked as if multiple motors could be
> >setup in tandem with one another, This looked like a valuable option, I could
> >mount 2 or more smaller drive motors with clutches to a single shaft,
> > > You don't need the complication of clutches to disengage motors. You
> > > just leave them all connected and run them in parallel at lower power in
> > > each motor.
> > > Motors are often ganged to get extra power.
> > >
> > > Even if it became necessary to cut the power to one motor (say due to
> > > an electrical fault) unlike an ICE there isn't much mechanical
> > > resistance in leaving it in line and spinning it dead. (unless it's
> > > shorted out and acting like a generator with a shorted output, but that
> > > would be unusual.) Having a motor mechanically jam would be very rare.
> > > Your clutch arrangement would be more likely to fail.
> > >
> > >
> > > Electric motors also have very large operating speed that produce full
> > > torque. A variable gearbox isn't generally needed. Forced cooling might
> > > be needed if high torque at low speed is needed as the motors may not be
> > > spinning fast enough to self-ventilate. Rail applications all have fixed
> > > gear ratios and look at the loads railway locomotives drag.
> > >
> >
>

 
   


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment