Monday, January 24, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric speedboat revisited

 



Oops, meant to introduce first:

AK from Amsterdam. A reader now ready to post, and build!

I have a classic speedboat that I love, but it is loud, smelly and dirty. Since I started riding an electric scooter I've had an EV grin that I now want to take to the water..

I have read the advice to forget about planing V hulls, but would like to make another run of it: hence revisited.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "ams_ak@..." <ams_ak@...> wrote:
>
>
> Donor: Glastron v174 Bayflite
> Length: 5,30 m
> Beam: 2,20 m
> Weight: 850,00 kg
>
> coming out:
> Volvo B20 130 HP 350 lb/ 160 kg
> Gastank (80 L.) 220 lb / 100 kg
> Ballast (in bow) 110 lb / 50 kg
>
> total 680 lb / 310 kg
>
> Going in:
> Kostov 11" 192HV 178 lb / 81 kg
> 60*100Ah LiFePo4 462 lb / 210 kg
> Soliton1 controller n/a
>
> total 640 lb / 291 kg
>
> Though I admit the range will be limited, I feel the performance should match or exceed the original ICE setup. Including some other components the parts investment would be about 15.000 Euros. Not cheap, but interesting to note that a full tank runs at 150 Euros; depending on usage there could be a cost/benefit down the line (but this is not the point of the conversion)
>
> The boat would be used in and around the canals of Amsterdam, so mostly slow speed cruising (as enforced by our friendly waterpolice).
> When the situation allows: WOT!
>
> Q: The parts I will be using are not specified for marine use, pitfalls?
> Q: Though the Kostov has more or les the same RPM range as the ICE, I feel the prop should make more of the low end torque, design suggestions?
>
> And of course any other ideas & suggestions are welcome. If there is interest I will update with more information.
>
> Happy Boating!
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment