Thursday, January 27, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric speedboat revisited

 

On 28/01/11 08:08, BD wrote:
>
>
> Certainly nice to have the likes of the Honda eu2000i for all kinds of
> general use benefits and home use in a pinch as well. But also
> noteworthy, if you just want the raw DC power out of a genny, I've
> noticed that even the tiniest (cheap) ones, putting out say 400w AC
> all seem to put out a direct current output of 8.3A. Presumably 8.3A
> was determined to be ideal for charging/jumping vehicle batteries, so
> even the tiniest (lightest, cheapest, quiet, and even more fuel
> efficient) are capable of that amperage output, though I don't know
> the conversion math to know if that fills the bill for on demand
> bypass power you reference below.

The Honda and it's clones would not be the gen set to 'hack around
with' for DC output, as these are based around their inverter being able
to take the variable voltage and frequency input from the alternator
attached to the motor and output a nice clean utility mains (in my case
240v 50Hz). The 'ECO' mode thus slows the engine down when the load is
low and saves fuel.

On my Eu2000i you only get 12v out of the DC output socket when the
'ECO' mode is disabled - the engine has to be governed to run at the
appropiate speed to get 12v out of the alternator/rectifier set. You
lose one of the key advantages of the expensive Honda by doing this.

I plug my charger into the Honda and the charger puts out 20amps. That
gets me 3/4 of my max speed for as long as the petrol lasts. (My charger
is also capable of sustained running at 20amps). There are extra losses
by having extra conversions in the line but the Honda inverter is
reasonably efficient and so is my DeltaQ charger. I don't think I'd gain
enough extra efficiency by trying to hack up a DC gen set to make it
worth the trouble. (I run a 36v system so I couldn't use a 2nd hand 48v
Telco gen set either).

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment