Saturday, January 29, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Power Relationship

Very briefly, Mike, and I have sent you a fuller version off-group, that includes the financial reasons a bit more, and resembles the Good Book in length, but to compare with your setup, answering your question, because I am effectively replacing the large electric motor you use with a cheaper ICE for the long range component of the needs.
This being on the basis that the 'first' 2 or 3 HP will be used a lot for mooring and docking, and indeed to save battery drain when under power, but after that, with a large motor, you are paying for motor KW capability, and possibly battery sizing to a degree, that you are seldom using. Nice, convenient, but it does have that setting up price penalty.
After thought, it occurred to me that I can probably do Ok with less KW while learning to sail in a protected inlet. I can also probably pull the inboard ICE out and go with a removable ICE outboard bracket for emergency use, simply because I have the outboard, (hate brackets!) but I don't have the funds for a large electric drive motor. The removal of the inboard ICE leaves freedom for the electric drive plans to move forward. This assumes I can heat my kettle with a woodstove or alcohol stove. The gennie idea might be good though, and water could be heated from the exhaust, even with an air cooled one.
Overall, I have a disadvantage in having never sailed. I have little idea of what I will actually NEED, which might be completely different from what boat makers think that I need. If I live long enough, it will be interesting to see how this develops. The smaller the power, the smaller the batteries, and the more likely that a zero fuel cost can be achieved without suffering, just some care, and less need to rush around. For me, the mounting plate method will work really well, as it will allow changes in motors and pulley ratios, as well as possibilities of combining hydraulic drive, or maybe 110v AC motors.
Which raises the question. Seeing as I will have the mounting plate already, would (cheaper) 110 v AC motors driven by a gennie be practical for forward motion long range drive only? What size gennie will drive, say, a 1 hp 110v AC motor that is already turning slowly driven by 12v motors? I think that the starting uses a surge load, can that be 'softened?' in this way?


John

1b. Re: Power Relationship
Posted by: "Mike" biankablog@verizon.net mbianka2000
Date: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:34 am ((PST))

John:

I'm not sure why you would want to have and ICE in addition to the
electric motor setup you plan. It seems to me you could do just as
well using an on deck generator like the Honda 2000i to power a
power supply across your battery bank for those times when you need
to do extended electric motoring. This arrangement has worked for me
on my 30 foot 8 ton sailboat for three years now.
http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2010/12/end-of-season-thoughts-of-electric.html
You could even use the generator to boil water (electric tea kettle)
if you want hot water on board as well and also use it to power tools
for projects. My original backup plan was to install a diesel
generator in my boat but, I have found out the Honda 2000 meets all
my needs for electric propulsion and has a lot of other advantages.
Like it's portability so I can use it at home in the winter months if
I need too.

Capt. Mike
http://biankablog.blogspot.com

--
_______________________________________________
Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment