Friday, January 14, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Main mounting plate needs.

 

I wouldn't use steel unless its stainless, and don't use a torch for cutting slots unless its a plasma, You can use Stainless, go to a recyclers for heavy metals and they u sally have scraps around, bring a magnet, if it sticks dont use it, its not marine grade, 1/4 wont flex...3/8 is over kill... and 1/2 is insanity ... if you dont have a plasma use a drill on each end of your slot and then use a cut off saw, to finish you can use a dremel to make the slots perfect.... but plasma is the way to go... cuts clean in seconds...

Nicholas

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "John Green" <v_2jgree@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> As I intend experimenting, I wish to use steel for the main mounting plate for the bearing, and the motor(s). This will allow oxy-acetylene torching of slots for belt adjustment, as well as holes for decreasing the weight, and easy welding for braces and mounts etc.
> My overall expected electric power might be around 3 or 4 HP.
> This would supply 50% of my hull speed power requirement.
> It might be prudent to overbuild on this item though, up to the total for my hull speed, 6 HP, plus a margin.
> I would like opinions:
> Would 3/8 inch plate work, or am I likely to need 1/2 inch?
> Bear in mind I can add angle iron or ribbing to decrease flex.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
>
> --
> _______________________________________________
> Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
> Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment