Tuesday, January 18, 2011

[Electric Boats] voltage

 

Hi all
I have been reading for 5 years but seldem post. This site and some regulators seems to be stuck on 48v this voltage is ok for small boats, but we cannot advance without accepting the facts. I am an electricain and work daily with 120 v to 600 v and I make these systems safe for the public. I use breakers and mechicnal protection. This is not rocket science. The currents at low voltage are hard to manage, they create heat everywhere . the heat losses are to the square of the current.
I read all the time of users having heat issues with controllers and building noisey and inefficent gear reductions. I have a soloman 4.5 kw with an off the shelf AMC controller ,cool, to the touch all day long even in summer. My sweet spot is 4 A (600W) at 3.5kts in chop. Direct drive means only 1 moving part. low currents make for happy batteries. Green is full keel sloop at 5 ton.
My regret is the propeller I was 16X7 27 hp diesel, I went to 16X16 3 blade I wish for 4 blades or 16X20+ . The aggersive prop acts as a sea anchor so I spin at low speed (150W) while sailing ,like a dynamic neutral, and for a 100 watts more I can point a few degrees higher. I use a 3KW russco charger and Honda 2000i (1600w@ sea level,1400w up here on the lake) to reach amost hull speed, a 3000 would do it but they are too big.
With recycled electric vechicles available in comming years we will go to 300 votls . Dont be afraid ,be safe..

PS good luck to the Soloman team in Florida wish I was there.

Kevin Shepherd
E/SV Green
B.C. Canada

www.green-power.info

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment