Saturday, January 15, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Repowering a 65 motor sailer

 


I'm tied up today, but I'll dig up the article Sunday. I hope Professional Boatbuilder has an on-line index to articles...

-Tom

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@...> wrote:
>
> Tom , may I ask of you please , could you tell me what Nigel Calder concluded as
> to hybrid efficiency , in his articles ?,
>
> I haven't had the opportunity to read them.
> Regards Rob J.
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Tom <boat_works@...>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Sat, 15 January, 2011 8:29:58 PM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Repowering a 65 motor sailer
>
>
>
> THanks Nicolas, I understand that you don't need to run under battery power
> alone, so you won't need a huge battery bank for propulsion.
>
> You will, however, need a much larger genset. I don't see how a large diesel
> genset powering an electric motor will help you meet your design goals of
> minimizing spares, serviceabilty in remote areas, efficiency (refer to Nigel
> Calder's articles on hybrids in Professional Boatbuilder) and reliability. I do
> admit that removing and replacing the current 160HP ICE with another model
> engine will be a big project.
>
>
> Don't get me wrong, I love electric boats. I run one, and wouldn't ever change
> it to ICE, but some applications make more sense than others.
>
> I'd be happy to be proven wrong, and look forward to following this discussion.
>
> -Tom
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Oberzire <ibles_world@> wrote:
> >
> > Tom the Gen Set would be running when the motors are running, but its only
> >12.5kw so pulling 60k out for a motor wouldnt be long before I had batterys
> >would be defeated, the motors need to be run hours on end and not just to back
> >it up on a dock, it is a sail boat, but when the seas are rough I be motoring
> >more than a bank of batteries can hold
> >
> > --- On Thu, 1/13/11, Tom <boat_works@> wrote:
> >
> > From: Tom <boat_works@>
> > Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Repowering a 65 motor sailer
> > To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > Date: Thursday, January 13, 2011, 5:03 PM
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >  
> >
> >
> >
> > 
> >
> >
> >   
> >     
> >     
> >      I may have missed it somewhere in this thread, but I don't recall: Is the
> >boat intended to be run under battery power alone (no genset running), and for
> >how long?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > -Tom
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, GNHBus@ wrote:
> >
> > >
> >
> > > I was looking at Baldors yesterday, this would take @ 40-50kw , do you have
> >
> > >  more infos on this Hans?
> >
> > > 
> >
> > > 
> >
> > > In a message dated 1/12/2011 8:35:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 
> >
> > > hanskloepfer@ writes:
> >
> > >
> >
> > > 
> >
> > > 
> >
> > > 
> >
> > >
> >
> > > If redundancy is what you are looking for  have you considered an
> >
> > > industrial ac motor like a Baldor. I have seen  large yachts which have a
> >large
> >
> >
> > > industrial Baldor or similar motors  belted to the existing prop shaft. This
> >is
> >
> >
> > > just a simple method of  providing some redundency. It would perhaps require
>
> >
> > > a larger generator,  but this could be used for other power hungry AC
> >
> > > appliances.
> >
> > >
> >
> > > Just  a thought.
> >
> > > Hans K
> >
> > >
> >
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment